Thankful Thursday - Hardships

Thursday, May 16, 2013

1. Is life supposed to be a bed of roses? (Even roses have thorns!)

2. Is it right for a parent of adult children to cushion all their children's falls? Some of the most difficult times in our lives have helped to strengthen and teach us by laying groundwork for better decisions in our current lives while drawing us closer to God.

My children go through struggles, I go through them and I am sure you do too. This post linked to two questions Thursday

Icy BC May 16, 2013 at 7:47 AM

1) Our life doesn't have to be a bed of roses, but it could be a bed of hay if we learn to make the best of it.

2) I think as parents, we should help our adult children from time to time, and not cushion all their fall, but this too, has limit. Sometimes, refusing to help them or saying no to them is one of the best ways to teach them to fight their own battle.

Michelle Garrett May 16, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Great questions!!! I definitely believe that if life was always smooth sailing then we'd never truly be able to appreciate what was good and true. The hard times help to strengthen us mentally and emotionally. As a child and a parent, while I appreciate the support and care of my parents there are times when they've stepped back to let me spread my wings. I love them more for that because it's helped me to see that I can stand on my own and solve problems without their interference.

Jim May 16, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Good thoughts, Judy. Your granddaughter is soooo cute now. I know she is soooo smart too!!!

1. Is life supposed to be a bed of roses? (Even roses have thorns!)
I will be quick and say that I think not. I cannot find any promise from any authority, even God, that it should be.

Same answer, I think no. But a parent should help the child to make the most of his/her fall by turning it into a learning situation. a) How not to fall; and b) consolation and understanding so that he/she "will be able to pick up the pieces and move on."

Self Sagacity May 16, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Happy Mother's Day late, BTW.
Life is supposed to be a bed of roses - why not? The problem is there are not enough rose beds to go around for everyone. Also I see a lot of people with rose beds that don't deserve them, so I have to say, YES- we all deserve a bed of roses until we screw it up.
I have a post in draft about the mother's love - it is endless. I do cushion all my babies' falls. I try to let them go on their own, but if it is something I can help and control and it doesn't change anything, I do help shamelessly.
Although my kids are very independent and they will never let me know they are hurt or need help.

Colette S May 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Aww what a beautiful baby!

Life would be quite boring if it was just a bed of roses. And even though we bend under some of it's pressures, it sure does help us to be stronger.

I think there are times when you can help and times when it's best to let them stand on their own so they can build their own foundation.

Happy weekend Judy.

betchai May 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM

life is indeed not at all a bed of roses, however, to make it appear like it is and to feel happiness and contentment and braving the storm is a choice we make. though there is nothing bad at all if we do listen to our sad feelings when we have to, when that is the case, i try to be away from any human noise, where i could talk and talk, freely, after that, I usually feel better and looks at life again as bed of roses.

I believe it is okay for parents of adult children to still cushion their children from time to time when really needed, but not too much that the children will not develop their strength and wisdom to solve their problems.