Thankful Thursday ~ Life

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Today I took a call from a customer who like many others called because her account was in serious arrears. She was afraid of having her service disconnected but during our conversation she mentioned she was just getting back from Disney World and having the time of her life. She and her teenage daughter went. But before you wonder how she could let her bill slide and go to Disney World know this; her daughter is in hospice and the Make a Wish Foundation had sponsored the trip as her daughter has a very short time to live. She left a very lucrative job to care for her dying daughter. She has spent countless hours at her bedside or taking her to tests, procedures and treatments, knowing that all these efforts would only extend her life by a precious few days, or perhaps only minutes or hours.

Her daughter, her only child would not bear children, much less graduate from high school and attend her prom. This would probably be one of the most precious memories of her life, a bittersweet memory to carry her through the rest of her childless life. As she entered her golden years she would not have babies to bounce upon her knee. She spoke with her voice breaking fighting to keep from crying.

As we set up a payment arrangement on her account to secure her service, I was forced to think about delinquent bills, credit reports and every day things and how they paled in comparison with the fullness of life. Our family is blessed with so many little lives. Joyous laughter and giggling, squabbles and making up are part of our daily routine and the knowledge that we can go to bed and do it all over again tomorrow. How good is that? Every day the many sad stories touch me and leave me humbled by the goodness which I am blessed with.

This post linked to Two Questions Thursday

The photo above is borrowed from my friend Anne who is expecting her first grand (pictured). Congrats, Anne. Life is so much better with the little ones who make our days so much more. Now we can sit down and brag together!!

This question is for only parents or grandparents:

1. Do you think your child/grandchild is the most precious one that ever lived? Of course they are! :-)

2. Do you get tired of hearing the bragging comments made by other parents/grandparents? No, I just want equal time. :-)

I will apologize ahead of time for raving about mine. They make my day. Thank you for your visit. Take care, stay healthy and God bless!!

Audrey Howitt aka Divalounger March 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Such a poignant reminder of life and its transience--live and love while you can

best to you!

8)(8 March 6, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Beautifully written.

I love your answers on the bragging rights.

Jim March 7, 2013 at 1:26 AM

That was touching, Judy. Often we just don't know all of the why's when people are having hard times. This was about the toughest I've known of.

1. My kids (5), grandkids (6), and greats (2) are or were the most precious one that ever lived.

2. Sometimes I do hear too much from others. Oh yes, did I tell you about my granddog (1)? She is sooo .... [Actually died last September 17 but she was the nicest dog ever. Just go to my blog and search for 'Adi']

Icy BC March 7, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Wonderful post, Judy! No matter what trouble I am in, I still think I'm blessed as there are many other people who have it worst than me..

Life is precious, and all the children are precious! They are the gift from God, are they not?

Colette S March 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I was thinking while reading about this mother, how these stories help us to be reminded to not take life for granted. How quickly we should forgive and move on.
Thank you for sharing.

And most importantly, reasons Never to judge.

1. Yes I do! Afterall whoever will mingle in my life as they do? or LOVE me as they do :)

2. Nope. Like you, I just want equal time :)

Have a great Thursday Judy! *HUGS*

Self Sagacity March 7, 2013 at 11:40 AM

You're funny. I feel exactly the same way! I don't mind them bragging but don't interrupt me when it is my turn. lol
A lot of people do have problems listening. I love to hear kids stories, because they are inspiring. They are innocent. I can wait to have grands though, that seemed like it should be 10/15 years from now at least. :-)

Ann I Am March 7, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I love to hear people talk about their children. It shows how much they love them. This is a beautiful story which reminds us that we should not be so quick to judge others.