Thankful Thursday - Good Customer Service!

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Computer issues

About 6 months ago I was going crazy with pop ups from my anti-virus program sending pop up messages continually every 5 minutes to advise me that I needed to update my program before it expired or my computer would be left unprotected!! It certainly got my attention but I knew I had time. I had bought the anti-virus program when I bought the laptop and updated it once since and it had not been two years YET!!

Hurry up and get a program.

I have a back up pc which had a different anti-virus program on it so I called that company the next day on my lunch break to ask if the program could be shared. Sadly it cannot, so out of desperation I purchased it with my card right then and there and went home and installed it on my laptop only. This girl does not make that kind of money to pay like $60. twice!

Help! My Computer has an unfriendly guest!

The first time I ran it it informed me that there were several trojans and instances of malware active on my computer so I followed the instructions and removed them. But a few days later when I went to run the program again my new program was butting heads with the old one; the one I had been informed had expired by then. I went to add/remove programs and it would not go.

They charge $99. to evict.

I called Best Buy after work one night (where I bought the laptop and the anti-virus program) and asked for a telephone number to reach their customer service. They told me to bring it in and there would be a $99. charge. There was NO customer service!! I was very annoyed and told them so. The program states it has expired, pops up every 5 minutes to interfere with whatever I am doing and then will not leave my computer and Best Buy wants to extort $99. to evict it? Let's not forget it is blocking my new program from working and left several bad guys alive and well on my laptop!!

The program I use now has excellent customer service, the old one has no number offered. The office is located in Russia. I asked them how they would like me to write about my dissatisfaction with this program and lack of customer service, and it magically left my computer the next morning and has not been back.

Recently another computer issue....

My friend bought a top of the line computer with a large touch screen. It's beautiful. She called me the other day as it just died. Guess where she bought it? You guessed it. It has a two year warranty so she took it back and they will repair it but advised her they would have to wipe out all of her programs. To restore the programs she would have to pay extra. She told them never mind  and to just replace the hard drive and give it back. She is trusting me to restore everything. Silly girl. I'm no computer whiz, but will do my best to make her happy.

I'm a wannabe!

This post linked to Two QuestionsThursday. Amanda is one of those computer whizzes I wish to be more like. So is her sister, Icy. I am just a wannabe. lol

1.) If you had a computer whiz handy, what would you ask them to teach you? Mine are too numerous to mention. :-)

2.) What program would you not be able to live without on your computer, besides anti-virus? I won't ask anyone what anti-virus program they use because I do not want to put anyone at risk. I understand that there are those who train their eyes on our vulnerable spot so we should broadcast which programs we use to protect our computer.

Audrey Howitt aka Divalounger March 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Oh--I hate hate computer problems and spending hours on the phone dealing with them--Sadly, I could relate to your tale!

Sukhmandir Kaur March 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Yeah installing a new antivirus can cause compatibility issues and they treat may the each other as a virus and can freeze your computer ;|

Poetic Shutterbug March 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I can so relate tho these problems. If I had a compter whiz around, like you, my questions would be too numerous.

I would say that the program I would absolutely have to have is Windows Media.

Icy BC March 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Whoa, Judy...you gave me credit where credit is not due, my dear friend. I know very little and just able to get by.

There is no such thing as customer service any where, and one phone call can take up to an hour of waiting, and going through the automated system, and then oversea you do dealing with people who you can't understand a word..

My favorite program is Microsoft Word..I use it every day, and every hour.

So sorry to hear about your problem! You shouldn't have paid for antivirus software at all. There are so many GREAT ones out there for free..

Self Sagacity March 14, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Judy, icy took the words right out of my keyboard,, haha. First, i always search for Free stuff online. Sometimes there are programs that are similar and you don't have to pay. A good place to look is CNET. Second, if your house has cable or Internet, the security software is free from them. You almost don't need Microsoft office anymore. Open Office which self sagacity wrote about, is Free. And so is Google docs, that includes google excel.
Remember to search first my dear, no need to pay if there is Free!
Good customer service is hard to find, believe me, my son will tell horror stories about my experiences that would have your eyes rolling backwards!

Judy SheldonWalker March 15, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Poetic Shutterbug, I am not sure I know the program you are referring to.

Icy and Amanda, you guys are both so smart about blogging! I have tried to download free anti-virus program but lately they have come with all these unwanted programs attached so I gave up. I tried to download Open Office from CNet and my computer was under seige for three days so I again gave up. I do love Microsoft Word, but I love Open Office just as much but can't find my disc. I purchased it and installed it on another computer then was told by a friend that she was able to get it for free. :-)

Colette S March 16, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Ahhh sometimes I wonder how Best buy still have customers. Seems everyone have the same complaints against them.

I hope your friend's computer get fixed properly.

1. I'd ask them to teach me how to code :)

2. It's hard to live without tabs :) Is that a program?

Happy weekend to you Judy.