Thankful Thursday - Sorting it all out!

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Face it. I'm wordy, verbose, talkative. Sometimes I don't know when to quit, but some people like it short and sweet as in a haiku. I have never ever written one before. I just feel like the poetry is not complete. I have so so much more to say but a lovely blog hosted by Kristjaan Panneman posts a haiku challenge called Carpe Diem. I read it last week and was going to submit an entry, but I nearly needed a pair of scissors and a giant eraser to stop my poem and to be honest I never completed the haiku so did not participate.

This time I did, but I want to add another line and have it end in a word that rhymes with air. Of course I didn't. Then it wouldn't be haiku.  Try your luck. I googled haiku and was instructed to select first 5 syllables  then 7 then 5 again. It is all about the rhythm. I like rhyming and rhythm but felt it would be a good exercise to challenge myself in a new type of expression.

1.  Is it just me or do you like your poems to rhyme too?

2. Maybe you are not even a fan of poetry. My hubby isn't, but I love to write poetry. It just seems to bubble up within me and sometimes I cannot get anywhere to capture it in words. It helps me to sort out my feelings? Otherwise they are just bottled up and trying to come out for air. How do you sort yours out?

This post linked to Carpe Diem and to Two Questions Thursday. Join in at both of these sites and express yourself! :-) Thank you for your visit. Take care, stay healthy and God bless!!

Icy BC January 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I like poetry, but really doesn't get the idea of Haiku either. I have known many that write Haiku, and love it.

wabisabipoet January 16, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Nicely done! I can feel that blast! Glad you joined the party. Haiku is so much fun and the best way to learn is to read as many haiku as you can and then write as many as you can!!

Poetic Shutterbug January 16, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Judy, I love all poetry and have been reading and writing it since I was a child. My favorite poets are those from the 19th century, Longfellow, Poe, Whittier etc... When I read poetry for leisure, I like reading traditional rhyme. I write mostly free verse now and am studying the traditional haiku forms.

Yes, poetry is a way to express what is in my heart and soul. I will have to check out that haiku link. Thanks.

Jazzbumpa January 16, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I like rhyming poetry also, and am most especially fond of sonnets.

But I also like minimalism and have come to love haiku.

You first effort is very good.

You can always write something longer as a companion piece. I go the opposite way and often reduce my flash fiction entries to haiku. That invites some concentration on the essence of the narrative.

Thanks for joining us, and I hope you stick around. This adventure is fun.

Cheers!
JzB

Jim January 17, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Hi Judy~~Did you miss me? I've been gone.

I write haiku, senryƫ, and tanka when I am short of time, want to have a 'poem' to post, and feel I have something I want or need to share. But like ytou, I like to write rhyming and metered poetry mu
ch better.

You might like the tanka, it adds two more seven syllable lines to the haiku or senryu.

You can click on my 'other blog' [Jim's Little P&P Place] and scroll down until you find one. Then click on the label, 'tanka,' for a complete page of them.

jrbsays January 17, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Very nicely done. Thank you for sharing :)

Jennifer Cooper January 17, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Do you write longer poetry? Do find it difficult to rhyme sometimes? Nice haiku :)

Self Sagacity January 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I like rhymes! It's not the same but my blogs' names are like that...SS, BB. So I like when the words flow too. No, I don't like reading some of the poems, I think they are too much sometimes, an overkill. I like yours, and few others'. They are easy to understand and they make sense. Don't get me on a rampage...but some poems use words that don't even make any sense.
I like great quotes...they totally hit the core.

joanne January 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM

you did a superb job on your haiku! I think poetry is so great because it IS incomplete - it elicits different emotional reactions from different people,,,,

Kristjaan Panneman January 17, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Welcome Judy at Carpe Diem's daily haiku meme. I am your host on Carpe Diem.
You did a great job on this Special by Shiki and composed a wonderful haiku for us all.
I like haiku very much, but I am also a lover of other poetry forms, if it's a short form.
Thank you for sharing and I hope to see you here again on Carpe Diem.

Lolly January 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I used to be verbose too.
No more.
You did just fine.

Colette S January 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM

You are very good with words Judy. A gift!

And I've always wanted to try a haiku, but I am not that good with words :)

But I love that you challenged yourself to it. :)

I like my poems real, not necessarily always rhyming. Just alive.