Thankful Thursday - Failure

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Failure can be beneficial.

Someone who has never experienced failure does not know how to push on, regroup and problem solve. If your child fails a test or challenge it can strengthen them. You can encourage them by expressing to them what you know of their skills and qualities that will help them to do better next time. Perhaps their method or understanding of the issue is not correct or spotty.

Failure is to us like manure is to roses.

Many a great inventor met defeat after defeat before their great discovery. As your child re-examines the subject it can help them to overcome their lack of knowledge and actually gain confidence as they practice new skills and ideas to forge ahead.  Sometimes we need to  think outside the box and learn to take healthy risks like suggested by this quote:

"If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat"  by John Ortberg
Thanks, Amanda for giving us a chance to talk about whatever we want!! :-) This post linked to two questions Thursday where we all get to talk at once, are all heard and are not considered rude!! :-)  Here are my two questions:

1. Have you ever failed at something and later discovered you were really pretty good at it?

2. What/who encouraged you?

In second grade, when learning cursive the teacher was very hard on my penmanship. She would require me to write page upon pages of the alphabet. I spent hours on my homework and would get so disheartened but  my maternal grandmother saw it differently. She gave me a calligraphy set for Christmas and I spent many enjoyable hours studying it. Soon I was taking free lance jobs for signs, posters and certificates. It's an art I still love. I am not sure I would have if not for my grandmother's thoughtfulness.

Thank you for your visit. Take care, stay healthy and God bless!!

CHAN LEE PENG January 23, 2013 at 10:35 PM

You're right! A Chinese proverb says, "Failure is a mom of success"

Self Sagacity January 23, 2013 at 11:57 PM

This is what I have been hearing :-) failures are the stepping stones to success. But, I definitely grow up fearing failures. I am afraid of failures. I don't handle it well. So, I don't acknowledge failure...but regard to it as obstacles.
1) No, if I failed, I wouldn't try the same thing again. I just take it as me not made for it.
2) I don't think I get much encouragement from anyone but myself, since my drive is much larger than anyone of those around me.

Icy BC January 24, 2013 at 6:26 AM

I failed at everything, but I kept on tugging until I get it right, or at least try with everything I had..

I am pretty much the force for my own encouragement. I can't think of anyone who deserves the credit.

Just so you know, your questions this morning had me pause and thought for quite a while..Take care of yourself in this freezing weather.

Zia Blue January 24, 2013 at 8:59 AM

that's so cool! Calligraphy is so elegant and beautiful- yet another thing I'd like to learn :)

Poetic Shutterbug January 24, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I so believe that failure is a learning experience and as you have said stepping stones.

I have failed many times in my life yet I feel quitting as a result of failure is the worse thing you can do. Although some people will encourage you it's what you feel in your heart that is true encouragement.

Great post today, Judy.

Colette S January 25, 2013 at 4:37 PM

If we would indeed encourage our child to try and let them know it is alright if you fail, just keep trying, then maybe we'd have more young ones with confidence.

And those young ones would make very good adult leaders in their communities and lives.

But we share the fear of failure and seem to insist only on the sure bet.

Very good post Judy!

I remember hating sewing. I thought surely I'd fail.
But even though I did fail a few times in class. I still ended up with a very dress that was model worthy at the time.

I had a teacher who was very calm in helping so I didn't feel threatened.

Aloha :)

Judy SheldonWalker January 25, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I am so blessed with a wise group of blogging friends. I love to read your responses because you are such a supportive and learned bunch. I am glad you have learned to forge ahead and Colette I would love to see that dress! Icy, I cannot imagine you not excelling at anything, and it is because you are such a hard taskmaster to yourself. You would not allow yourself to do anything mediocre. Amanda, perhaps you are just blessed in knowing what to challenge yourself with, as you also seem to make it all look so effortless!