Thankful Thursday ~ Tech Savvy Friends

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Angel

I am not sure what I think about the new Google+. I simply typed in Google+ in my post and a list of names magically appeared. more >>>

I think I need an angel on my shoulder to help me navigate these new computer programs as I am not sure what the features are or how to safeguard myself from the unwanted drawbacks.

I do not like public chatting!

I chat with family or friends while online completing tasks. As I wait for their response, I go about my blog visiting and sometimes someone leaves a comment and clicking on their avatar to return the visit takes me directly to Google+ instead of to their blog. Oops now my chat is public!! Then I have to immediately close Google+ and cannot leave them a comment to let them know I was there, but I do not want my private chats public!!!

I am torn between keeping and deleting.

I am torn between trying to spend time to find out what the program offers and deleting my account as I do not have that needed time to research the pros and cons. I find Google to be one of the most unfriendly programs to learn about. I have difficulty finding tips and support. I have a very good friend (my angel) who I lean on for tech support, who I refuse to name, as I do not want her/him to get bombarded with calls. I'm not bugging her/him, so why should anyone else? Let them get their own work done.
1. Have you had a problem chatting while on Google+?

2. What do you think of the new Google feature?

This post linked to Amanda's two question Thursday. Thanks for joining us. Take care, stay healthy and God bless!!

Jim December 19, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Hi Judy ~~ I really don't like Google, let alone Google +. But I had to take it to get more free picture blog space. I had used all of my regular free ones.

CHAN LEE PENG December 19, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I don't like this feature. Google should have a button to let us choose to let the chatting public or not

Self Sagacity December 20, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Hi Judy, here is the honest truth and I am usually bloody honest about stuff. At first, when Google announced that they were taking away GFC from WP, most bloggers on my radar panicked and started doing their recruits for Google +. I did too. Then, I realized it wanted a lot of info from me, like my real name, real email account, not business (selfsagacity). I think Colette said there was a way, but I didn't want to create another account. Long story short, I decided that it wasn't for me. I also decided that I didn't want to keep chasing all these new Social Media channels every time something new comes out. Yes very ironic as professionally, I am a Social Media/ Communication/ Web Publishing Marketer. I decided that I just have to give my reasons why I am not chasing Twitter, Facebook, etc, and hope that they will understand. That doesn't mean, I would not help them build, increase their own.
Anyways, I hope I answered both of your questions. I am not into Google +. They were trying to compete with FB, which is everything that you post, will go to everyone on your list, but they went a bit far, and do not have the options like FB - which is the weakness of Google +.

SquirrelQueen December 20, 2012 at 3:39 AM

I am not a fan of Google+ as it requires too much information. Google has enough info about me, they don't need more.

I still can't access the "more" feature on your blog Judy. I have tried both Firefox and IE. It works for me on all other blogs but not yours. Am I the only one having problems with it?

Icy BC December 20, 2012 at 7:04 AM

I am not sure what Google+ is all about, and won't change my blogger profile to Google + profile, unless they make me :-) like the dashboard. It is just an extra pain to have.

I didn't know that your private chat becomes public..Yikes, that's not good.

Anne Lyken-Garner December 21, 2012 at 7:22 AM

HI Judy,
I'm just stopping by to say Happy Holidays to all my blogging friends. Thanks for all the support, comments, visits etc. I hope you have fun with your loved ones and I wish you all the best for 2013.

Colette S December 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I don't chat on google unless I leave a message on a post or so.

But not live with anyone. If I want to talk , I'd prefer the phone or yahoo chat.
I probably log in to yahoo chat once every 3 or so months.

I barely glance over the new features of google, so I'm really not sure how to use it as yet. I'm always cautious with new programs and things of the like, so we'll see.

Happy Friday Judy.

EG CameraGirl December 22, 2012 at 6:37 AM

I am not a fan of Google+ and I have noticed that a few bloggers have tried it and then switched back.

Jhordan Kee December 22, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I don't use Google+ that much, I really don't know how it works. But I visit my Google+ account maybe once or twice a month if I have an extra time and I also find time to learn more about it by watching some video tutorials on YouTube.

⊱↫PreciousKD↬⊰ December 23, 2012 at 7:40 AM

I don't have time to find out about Google +, twitter or facebook. They just seem to suck the life out of me.

I don't chat online..so I have no idea why they would make a private chat to public chat.

Joyce Lansky December 26, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Is that what it does? What do you know.

Gattina December 27, 2012 at 5:51 AM

Without any hesitation, I hate it ! and I don't know at all for what this Google+ thing is useful ! I have to open twice first the Google+ and look for the bloglink which often is not mentioned, then go to the "About" thing and look for the Blog link ! that takes a lot of time and sometimes also the pleasure to comment. If I want to comment on a Google+ I have to subscribe first, otherwise it doesn't work and this I don't like at all to be forced to do something. I am definitively against that Google + I don't even like Facebook, I am happy with my Blogs and comments !

Joyful January 5, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Hi Judy, I totally agree with you. I didn't even know that chats were now public. I'm not on Facebook because I don't want to invite all kinds of strangers and friends of friends to my world. I also don't have time for all kinds of additional social network features like Google +. I would delete that if I could. But I do like blogger. Hopefully I can just continue to do that.

Thanks for dropping by my post today on the new appliances. I wish my utility company would give a straight across the board rebate for all appliances and come and pick up all old appliances but they don't. I found out they do purchase old refrigerators for $30. I wish I had known this before I paid the retailer $30 to take it away. As for rebates on energy star appliances, you have to research whether the make and model you have purchased is eligible for a rebate and then mail in the application. I did that for my washer and dryer last year and got back $75. We do not get any discounts on our utility bills for purchasing new energy efficient appliances. The "rebate" comes in the savings to your bill for using less energy.

EcoRover January 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I quit Google+ for similar reasons. Old fashioned, I guess-will stick with FaceBook...

Cher January 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM

i only use google + to promote my blog posts. i don't even know there's a chat box there. lol!

a very late holiday greetings, Judy! please know that i've always look up to you as a blessing and i will always do.

ps
are you interested in payu2blog? if yes, pls buzz me in fb.
thanks,
cher

Langley Cornwell January 20, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I'm not a big Google + user, I have an account but don't check it or post to it often. Hope you're doing well, Judy.

Green Speck January 23, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I don't use Google+ much. I primarily am into Facebook and Google Talk.

Reader Wil February 13, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Well I don't do Google+. I like my old blog best.
Thanks for your comment on the introduction of E.

Jenny February 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I'm having a hard time getting to your other blog!

Anyway, jsut wanted you to know I stopped by to wish you a Happy Thursday.

Linda O'Connell March 2, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Hi Judy, I am not a fan of it wither. Unable to get on your other blog. You certainly have talent!

8)(8 March 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I don't have it on my blog, though it says it can increase readership. My concerns are similar to yours in regards to privacy. It seems people can see everything, so I never set it up with my e-mail account, nor do I ever use that e-mail anymore.

Maggie Grace April 27, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I'm so confused about Google + but signed up for it. Think I had to for my blog. Hard for me to grasp technology. I like easy.