Thankful Thursday - Photo Storage

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Cone flowers

A random selection from my photo archives yielded the above photo. Hardly a day goes by without my camera being put to good use, and many days several photos are taken in a relatively short time. Many nature scenes and family members are selected as my target and the photo cache grows and grows and grows!!

continue to read more....

I use photoscape and zoner to edit and have downloaded Picasa, but not conquered it yet. I use SD storage, CD discs and flash drives for the thousands of photos but if you were to ask me where my photo of  a particular item was and needed it within minutes, we would both be disappointed. :-(  My friend Jeannie is also looking for photo organization tips. I have taken to making desk top folders every month or so, stashing the photos I used for that time period in them then sending them to a flash drive named by date only. It does not allow me to know what is on the drive or in the folder, but does save it and give me back my desk top storage.

1. Ideas anyone, please?

2. Can you lay your hand on a particular photo quickly?

This post linked to Two Questions Thursday and let the conversation begin! Thank you for your visit. Take care, stay healthy and God bless!!

Poetic Shutterbug November 15, 2012 at 12:09 AM

When I take photos, I immediately upload them to my Shutterfly account so I know where they are. I also put them on CD's and upload them to Facebook. I like having them on a CD so that the original file is kept intact.

Jim November 15, 2012 at 12:32 AM

That's a pretty cone flower picture, Judy. Where do you keep it besides here?

Storage is a big problem for me also. I use Picasa but it only mimicks and finds the pictures on my hard drive, back up drive, or a thumb switch.

I think it can be used for on-line storage but I don't use that.

1. No ideas. I would keep them on more than one storage place. I keep all of my flash drives from the cameras. Then I have them on my hard drive and 'supposedly' on my back up hard drive.

I lost my Gateway computer and some of those picture were not properly backed up. That means I have to lay hands on the flash drives. My flash drives are scattered all over.

2. Yes, by date taken. Picasa is fairly fast in allowing me to scan usable sized thumbnail pictures.

I like your "Zeal" "Z" word suggestion. Thank you, we need more of that.

Icy BC November 15, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Haha..I have the same dilemma about how to properly store my photos..If I organize them by name of subjects, then I don't know when they were taken. So now, I organize them by month/year, and then went through them at the end of the month to delete all my blurry ones that I've kept for some reasons..

Right now, my extra hard drive is about full, so delete, delete, and delete!

LindyLouMac in Italy November 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Yes I think I can usually find what I want pretty quickly. I use a variety of methods but probably am the most organised on My Flickr account.

Colette S November 15, 2012 at 1:02 PM

This is beautiful!

I wish I knew the flowers names all the time.

I have tons of photos also and a back up drive.
I am saving up to get another drive for photos.

If you ask me, I don't know. I usually have to go into the folders and get what I want.

I think you could search on your computer...not sure.

But I have save photos in folders marked Jan - March /2012 etc. It seems to work. But yes I have to go dig for a photo.

Would be nice to learn a way to find them quickly.

Self Sagacity November 15, 2012 at 6:06 PM

NEVER. I can't keep up Judy. I have tons and tons of photos of miss T, and my boys, food and garden that I would love to post, but I am stiff when it comes to organization. Things change all the time. Sometimes the external hard drives are just too complicated - I have a very small work area in the office. And I do not like to have them hanging out everywhere.
I love the USB stick the best. It is small and can go anywhere with me. I like to get more of these with the larger space.
I named them by year, then month, then my people, or groups.

ArtMuseDog and Carol November 16, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Great post and great questions ~ I am in the same 'boat' ~ although do have some photos in folders that are named. Very professional and knowledgeable photographer told me he has an external hard drive just to save his photos ~ Other choice would be to use a USB stick and list on sheet of paper what is on it ~ I confess ~ me bad ~ best get my photos more organized ~ enjoy the weekend ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^

~✽Mumsy✽~ November 16, 2012 at 7:58 PM

That's a beautiful photo, and I have no idea how to organize my photos either.

Kateri November 16, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I have the same problem with no real answer. The one's I really love get posted on facebook and my blog. And I have been learning to delete, delete, delete!