Thankful Thursday- Fun

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Jack-o-lantern

Jack-o-lantern

Jack-o-lantern

Mariolina told us that Halloween is celebrated differently in her home country. It is not like America, where it is treated mainly as a fun holiday and homes are decorated in a spooky and fun fashion with children going trick-or-treating or trunk or treating. I have never really been big into Halloween decorating; Christmas is my season. Halloween has always left me kind of lost.

1. How about you? What does Halloween mean to you?

2. How do you feel about grown ups trick or treating?

Join Amanda's two questions Thursday. I know you have something to talk about. :-) Thanks for your visit. Take care, stay healthy and God bless!!

SquirrelQueen November 1, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Those are some amazing Jack-O-lanterns.

Halloween is a fun holiday for kids. I like to hand out treats to all the neighborhood kids and see their costumes. All of the kids who visit are from the neighborhood and most are with their parents.

If grown ups want to celebrate they should have a party and leave the trick or treating to the kids.

Cathy Kennedy November 1, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Halloween isn't a big deal with us since the kids have grown up. I continue to make some of our traditional goodies and we may watch a movie or two, if it falls on the weekend. Other than that, that's about it. We don't do much decorating or anything, either. Now to think about it even as a kid Halloween wasn't really all that much of a big deal with me. Oh sure, I enjoyed trick or treating but the dressing up part I could take it or leave it either way.

I don't it's a good idea for growns up to trick or treat unless they are with their small children. We discourage trick or treators from coming to our house by keeping the light off, but I tell you if an adult dinged our door bell with no children then I would be quite hesitant to open the door. Of course these days you have to have to question some older children's motivates for being out on Halloween night, too. Again, I feel better with keeping the lights off and all people away on Halloween.

Like, you Christmas is an entirely different story - I love Christmas! Everything about Christmas makes me happy and I want to show it off a lot mostly indoors. One day, I would like to decorate the outside of the house big time. That would be so fun!

Bing November 1, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Halloween here in the Philippines is not celebrated before with trick or treating. I just noticed recently that there are children that knock on the door and yell 'trick or treat' and we do not have something to give because we do not really celebrate the day this way.

I think I would find it funny to see adults trick or treating. LOL

Icy BC November 1, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Halloween means fun for the kids, especially when they get to be some body else for the night. As for adult trick or treating, I dislike it very much.

With the economy so bad, many homeless or unfortunate adults have picked up this trick or treating themselves around my neck of the woods.

Self Sagacity November 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I was kind of lost in my growing up years. My first Halloween was a lot of fun. After that, we came to the US and it was challenging to have friends and keep friends. We didn't quite have the tradition down so it was really ok for what we knew.
My daughter is really doing great with Halloween and the trick or treating, and she gets into it alot more. I would like to have a party next year. ;-)

Self Sagacity November 1, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Sorry, I missed #2, Well, yesterday I walked with T and my SO, everyone wanted to give SO candy because he was dressed up. My neighborhood hav generous folks who just gets into the holiday. I am not sure you know, I think it is alright if they really need it. I just don't like when someone abuse it...so for me, everything in moderation is fine.

Colette S November 1, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I saw those jack-o-lanterns and I thought they were really creative.

I did write a post on how I felt about halloween :)

But for me: We did not celebrate halloween in my country and so I don't have any attachment to it and feel annoyed that I need to get into it for the kids. Not really annoyed, but just that I don't feel excited. But I do make the candy getting fun for them as they seem to like that. However I refuse to purchase costumes.

2. It would seem odd to find a grown up trick or treating. I can understand if they want to dress up and hand out candy or even take their kids to get candy, but not for them to actually go get candy.

Happy Thursday Judy!

ArtMuseDog and Carol November 2, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Fun post ~ more into Samhain ~ pagan origin ~ happy weekend to you ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^