Baby's got a new coat!

Monday, October 1, 2012

Getting started on sewing

We used the above pattern and made changes to the jacket pattern because Mariolina wanted a coat. For  more sewing tips read my previous post here

I had saved some denim from when I made shorts out of long pants. It only takes a piece about 4 inches by 4 1/2 inches to make a child's pocket. I stitched the hem down by hand at the pocket top and basted the sides as it was stitched with the sewing machine so it would not come loose anyway.

Mariolina decided she wanted to make the pink stand out by adding black denim trim along the front, bottom and the hood. Then we sewed on the snaps, and hemmed the sleeves. Pretty good for a two night project and a first time project for Mari. Kudos to Mariolina. Next time we will be working with Ruby and see what she and I come up with.

Total cost $1.59 and we have enough fabric left to make a pair of pants!! This post linked to Work-it Wednesday. You know you are resourceful, so strut your stuff! :-)  Thank you for your visit. Take care, stay healthy and God bless!

Mine?

Icy BC October 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Wow..you're quite talented, my dear! A pretty coat for a pretty baby girl..

Ruthinian Gregoire October 2, 2012 at 7:42 PM

oh i am so jealous. i have a curtain that i started working on last year and it's still not yet finished. i wish i have the time to do it.

Judy SheldonWalker October 2, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Icy, you are so sweet to say that. You are very talented too.

Ruthi, time; what is that? I have no time nor money, lol. Mari and I decided we needed to do it and we plunged in. I am so appreciative that you took the "time" to visit me though, as I know you are very busy with multi-tasking. We are women, hear us roar. :-)

Kayla @ TheEclecticElement October 2, 2012 at 11:52 PM

A whopping $1.59, huh? Now THAT'S my kind of project. Inexpensive but looks oh-so-chic!

What a fun project to do and I think it turned out beautifully :)

Thanks so much for linking up with Work It Wednesday! Hope to see you back soon ^.^

JamericanSpice October 3, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Wow. I've been thinking of making clothes for my kids. It's so much cheaper!!

You are quite the talent Judy! Very nice.

Anne Lyken-Garner October 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM

It's hard work, but it's rewarding when it all comes together. I love doing little projects, but have never made a coat. Well done, you!

Awww, she's growing up so fast.