Thankful Thursday - Sewing

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Making a baby coat

I love  thrift stores!!

When I lived in NY I would find deals in Woolworth on fabric and make my children clothing in a heartbeat. In the area I lived there were no yard sales but there were resale shops. Sometimes I could find a yard of fabric for less than a dollar! Because I could not always afford a pattern I would use their old clothes, by cutting just a little larger or draw out a pattern on waxed paper.

A few weeks ago I bought the pictured pattern and  some pink corduroy for a dollar. (Click on the picture to enlarge.) Mariolina did not want to make a jacket, so we are making a coat instead. Just skirt out the sides of the front and back rather than cutting it straight. We have only dedicated a couple hours to this coat so far. We still need to add the hood, facing, hem and snaps. I got a whole roll of bias tape with the snaps already on them for $.50 so we can sew them along the front. We may add pockets. We plan on making our next coat slightly larger so we can insert a lining.

Here are some of the tips I have given her:

1. Don't limit yourself to the picture. Changes are not that hard. For example we used a jacket pattern and will make a coat from it. Ruby doesn't like short skirts on her daughters so will cut hers inches longer. (Ruby has always been one to turn her pattern into something totally different.) :-)
  2. Pay close attention to layout; cutting out around the diamonds (those are used to match pieces), laying on the fold when needed, cutting out the amount of pieces needed, laying on the straight grain of fabric when required.
  3. Never cut smaller, but bigger.  Do not cut down the fold line if the pattern asks for a fold!!!
  4. Keep your stitch at medium size for now so they can be removed if need be.
  5. Pull your thread out about 6 inches each time you finish back stitching your seam before cutting the thread. This helps to stop your thread from coming out of the needle.
  6. Always start a seam with the needle firmly in the seam before stepping on the treadle.
  7. Step on your treadle gently till you get the hang of stitching straight.
That's enough for now. I don't want to bore you. :-) Not everyone loves sewing!!

But if you have any questions we will be more than happy to try and answer you.

This post linked to two questions Thursday.

1.) I would like to know what your favorite way to save money is?

2.) If you could have something hand sewn, what would it be?

Thank you for your visit. Take care, God bless, and stay healthy!!

BTW - I just had another great grand! This time it was a boy! This is the first boy for over 5 years!!! Congrats little Landa!

Little Landa is the second girl from the end on the right. This was last week end at Te`Love's baby shower (turquoise tank top). He, her baby, weighs just 4 lbs. 11 oz. Prayers please for our little guy and his mom.

SquirrelQueen September 27, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Wishing mom and baby all the best, I will keep them in my prayers.

Good tips on the sewing Judy.
I like to clip coupons and shop the sales for groceries. That and using my store card will usually save a few bucks each trip.

My favorite hand sewn items are quilts and I have two of those, one from each of my grandmothers.

⊱↫PreciousKD↬⊰ September 27, 2012 at 8:23 AM

1) My favorite way to save is looking through flyers, and online coupons.

2) If it is a hand sewn item, I would want a quilt!

Congrats on another great grand! You're so blessed..

Cathy Kennedy September 27, 2012 at 10:36 AM

What a small baby! Was he a premie? My prayers are with little Landa.

The only way I know to save is through coupons. I print in-store coupons off the net. Only for items I know we buy. Also, when shopping online I use Ebates as often as I can and/or look for coupon codes to use in conjunction with Ebates. These little savings does add up over time.

I think if I would like a hand-sewn quilt. I don't sew at all. I did a little of it in the mid 80s and that's about it. I did make our personalized (cross-stitched each name) Christmas stockings beginning after the birth of our first. I'll always treasure this and I hope to make some additional ones as our family expands.

Self Sagacity September 27, 2012 at 7:38 PM

1) I like to shop on Craigslist for things that I know I won't use for a long time. I love being able to find things on the internet, they are much cheaper and for now, some still do not have taxes.
2) I would like to have my clothes sewn for me - outfits. I think that would make me very happy.

JamericanSpice September 27, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Prayers go up for mom and baby and the family.

I am hoping I'll get the motivation to sew again. I enjoy when I'm finished with a product.

1 I really try and buy generic and keep a list and never shop over budget.

2. I'd want a dress for my daughter. A skirt for me. A shirt for my son.

And congrats again grand mom! Awesome news!

Judy SheldonWalker September 28, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Cathy, yes he was. The doctor said he can probably go home next week.

I made stockings one year with my grand kids for Christmas. I had all kind of fabric markers and decorations and then goodies to stuff them with. They loved decorating them. I had hoped to use them each year but they lost them :-( Oh well.
Thanks for stopping by!