Thankful Thursday - Prayer

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Jesus on Mount Olives

Whenever I feel particularly lonely or vulnerable, like a particular crisis that I am dealing with is a bit much, I am reminded of a passage of scripture that gripped me when I came across it. It described some of the final hours that Jesus went through prior to his crucifixion:

39. And he came out, and went as he was wont, to the mount of Olives; and his disciples also followed him. 40. And when he was at the place, he said unto them, Pray that ye enter not into temptation.  41. And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeling down, and prayed, 42. Saying, Father, if thou be willing remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done. 43. And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him. 44. And being in agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground. 45. And when he rose up from prayer, and was come to his disciples, he found them sleeping for sorrow, 46. And said unto them, Why sleep ye? rise and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. Luke 22: 39-46

The book of Mark tells the story also and in Peter's version (as told to Mark), Mark tells how Jesus took with him the disciples to accompany him while he prayed in a section of Gethsemane. It was here that Peter vowed to die with Jesus, then Jesus asked them to wait with him while he prayed. He came back, not once but three times to find them asleep. One verse; Mark 14:34 Jesus said My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death; tarry ye here and watch.

He prayed a short while and came back to find all the disciples asleep and spoke to Simon Peter in particular Simon, sleepest thou? couldest not thou watch one hour?

If you remember this incident, you will remember that after this Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus to the soldiers and then He was taken into custody. Peter betrayed him three times. It was as if the whole world turned their back on Jesus. All those who would crowd Him begging for healing and hanging on His ever word; where were they? The loneliness and betrayal had to be crushing. I feel His comfort when I go to Him in prayer because I know, He knows. He bore so much more than I could ever imagine.

Thank you for your visit. Take care, stay healthy and may God richly bless you! This post linked to Two questions Thursday. Let's all get together at Amanda's! See you there.

My questions are:

1) What is your favorite scripture passage? Mine is 1 Corinthians 13:13

2) What is your favorite part of your church worship? Mine is the word. I enjoy good gospel music, but I am fed with the word.

So sorry I missed you last week. My computer took a nap, a long one. It has been having issues with blogger. Sometimes I cannot post, sometimes not edit or upload pictures, view other blogger's photos...Tonight it took me two hours to get into blogger to create a post. I kept getting a message that I had signed in from another site. My clone should tell me what she is doing! :-)

Cathy Kennedy September 20, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Matthew 28:20: "Lo, I am with you always,..."

Ministry through song feeds my soul. This has always been my favorite part of worship service, but not say I don't enjoy hearing a good sermon because that is very important to my spiritual life, too.

Self Sagacity September 20, 2012 at 2:08 PM

hello there Judy. My favorite passage is when the father gave the two sons money I think one swanders off the money, while the other made it into a fortune. I've always liked that since I was a child. I believe that although we can't all be rich and famous, we can make enough to live by. it is what you do with your talents and skills god have given you that you can either rise above or not. my SO and I always say that we have second jobs after our first job or many jobs, our evenings and weekends are not like others that we know. we don't sit around and watch tv, we don't spent like our friends...enough on that subject, but the answer to the second question is, I like to hear the preaching part, and the part when we receive Christ, it's the look on people's faces that I enjoy watching...almost seemed like people feel renewed after they received the body of Christ.

Icy BC September 20, 2012 at 8:06 PM

"You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your being, and with all your strength, and with all your mind" Luke: 10:27

My favorite part in the service is listening to the gospel, and the song..These move me!

⊱↫PreciousKD↬⊰ September 21, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I don't know or memorize any passage, but in time of need I just say "the Lord is my Sheppard..."

I haven't been in church for years because everything seemed so automated to me..I pray, but not going to church!

JamericanSpice September 22, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Very beautiful post Judy.

1. I have always loved Psalm 139 because I've always struggled with low self esteem and it reminds me that God says I am fearfully and wonderfully made. That's been with me since I was a child.

2. I think I prefer the word. I get to concentrate on being fed.

Happy weekend.
I hope things get better with blogger. I think they are changing again and hence the problems.
*HUG*

Anne Lyken-Garner September 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Lovely and encouraging today, Judy. There are so many beautiful scriptures in the bible. I have many favourites.