Thankful Thursday - Fathers

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Proud Daddy

In a world where too many of our "men" partake in the pleasure of making babies, but do not stick around to change the diapers, my sons make me proud because their children are their priority.

When I was busy having my family and working to support them, many of us in the Bronx looked around us and decided that we needed someone to help us keep our children safe. I wrote the NYC Housing office and inquired into the steps needed to create a tenants association. Soon we were cleaning up graffiti and our building one brick at a time but one thing that struck a chord with me was the day that the head of the tenant's association met with us to teach us how to set up our association; he looked over the packed room, and asked "Where are the men? I see lots of children, but who rocks the cradles?"

My children's father was gone more than home until I got fed up and divorced him. Many of the women who were the backbone of our tenants association were single parents. So few men participated in the upbringing of their children so it does my heart  good to see my own sons with their children; their tenderness and playfulness truly tugs at my soul.

Amanda sponsors a great meme where we are allowed to pose two questions. Maybe that's why she calls it Thursday two questions? :-)

1.  Who was your main role model? Mine was not my father, but my mother. I was terrified of my father, but Mom was and is my rock.

2.  Is their a child other than your own that you try and guide with love? I feel that all children are our children and anyone can play an important role if they just take time to care.

Thanks so much for your visit. Take care, stay healthy and God bless!

SquirrelQueen August 9, 2012 at 2:59 AM

It does seem to be a rare thing for fathers to take an active part in their children's lives. You can be very proud of your son's Judy.

My father was my role model. I was his first born and even though he may have wanted a boy he was pleased that I wanted to be daddy's tomboy.

Icy BC August 9, 2012 at 8:20 AM

When it comes to pick and chose, I guess my dad was my model as I was sent away at a very young age. He stood for integrity, orderly, and a disciplinary person in my mind.

I do think that if other children need our help, we should help them regardless..

Self Sagacity August 9, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Hi Judy, beautiful photo. What a fantastic guy and father. I remember my father and mother was always around. I think they both in their own ways were my rock and my support.
I have a lot of nieces and nephews, but because of the distance, we are not close. I haven't picked up another child to guide, but wouldn't mind in the future.

Jim August 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Hi Judy ~~ Very nice meme type post, I feel I know you better still. I think many fathers do not respect the duties and importance they have in molding their childrens' lives.

1. Who was your main role model?
Probably my grandpa. Until he changed I did not respect my father very much. Again, until he changed he was abusive. God changed him for all of our family's sake.

2. Is their a child other than your own that you try and guide with love?
The grandchildren, of course. All of their fathers rate high on the scale but still those kids need certain love and molding from us that the parents aren't giving.

My own family was split when we divorced. The four children had some pretty lousy step fathers.

The fifth came when I was older and I gave her so much more time that she needed. I was too busy with life and work when the others came.
P.S. The first marriage was when we were VERY YOUNG but even them it lasted 13 years.

Judy SheldonWalker August 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM

You guys are such a wonderful bunch and any child who is lucky enough to have you in their lives is blessed!!

I truly believe that God appreciates us loving a child as much as He appreciates us loving Him.

JamericanSpice August 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Such a beautiful post. I admire your sons and any man who understands the precious job of being there for a child.

1. I didn't have one growing up.

So I relied on books. I read everything and so went everywhere with my mind.

2. Not really, but wherever I am, if I see a child needing guidance, I do help. I think we should be responsible for all children, anywhere.

Happy weekend to you Judy!

Judy SheldonWalker August 10, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Colette, books are a wonderful thing - they take us places we may never have been able to go. Some of the things YOU write also inspire and uplift so it is wonderful that you are able to be there for others . .

Anne Lyken-Garner August 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Ah... He seems so adoring. He loves her so much. You've taught him well, Judy. Credit goes to you as well as him. My dad was never there for me, yet he expects now to get all the respect, love and honour that comes with being a dad, now I'm all grown up.

I won't be disrespectful because he's still my dad and my attitude is my responsibility. However, I can't love him and he can't understand this.