Thankful Thursday - Intervention

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I stumbled across the first book of the trilogy, "Child Called "It"" some time ago and the words on the book jacket grabbed me.  I read the entire blurb, glanced at the price and put it back on Target's shelf. Even with the store discount, it was more than I could afford. Mind you, it was not overpriced. The gripping story was worth every penny of what the asking price was; it just wasn't in my budget. Then last year I found the entire trilogy for just $.25.  This photo is borrowed from Wikipedia as I lent my book out. It is making its rounds in my circle of family and friends.

His mother was his enemy.

As I read it I was taken on a journey with a small boy who fought daily just to survive and his enemy was his mother. My mind boggles at the thought that a mother can carry a child beneath her heart and later torment and try to starve the very same child, flesh of her flesh. It took him what seemed to be forever to be rescued from a fate no child show know, and then he came head to head with the prejudice of the system. Dave Pelzer attended schools that shunned foster children as it they were the ones who created their own abuse. Prejudice rears its ugly head in so many ways.

When will we learn acceptance and tolerance?

Dave went on to receive commendations from three U.S. presidents and to become the only American ever to win the Outstanding Young Persons of the World Award. He overcame so much and should be an inspiration to all who have ever felt victimized. I hope those who taunted and tormented him have come to realize that he was a victim through NO FAULT OF HIS OWN!

She's a wounded animal.

I have no questions, as the topic is too personal and only hope that some one will pause to realize that until we have truly walked in another man's shoes we cannot understand why they behave the way they do and only God can judge them. His social worker gave him the best answer she could when he asked why his mother treated him the way she did "David, your mother's a wounded animal...I have no logical answer why she acts the way she does."

Please join Amanda at Thursday two questions and have a wonderful weekend. I do appreciate your visit. Take care, stay healthy and God bless!

Cher April 26, 2012 at 1:26 AM

"only hope some one will pause to realize that until we have truly walked in another man's shoes we cannot understand why they behave the way they do and only God can judge them" ~ very well said Judy. i admire you for your wisdom and humility.

Mumsy¸.¤ª“˜¨ April 26, 2012 at 6:53 AM

I read A Child Called It many years ago, and it breaks my heart at the cruelty and inhuman ways he had to endured!

Icy BC April 26, 2012 at 10:01 AM

When I read this book, I couldn't believe how his mother treated him, and wondered if she knew what and how to love.

But then again, I had experienced some of the abuses myself, and "I have no logical answer why she acts the way she does."

Cathy Kennedy April 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM

It perplexs me how anyone can abuse a child or a man abuse a woman. Thankfully, I have not ever had to walk in such footsteps.

What/Where in the World?

Self Sagacity April 26, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I am forever intrigue with true life stories. It is so moving and people have so much courage!
You did have a question here, how is it possible that "a mother can carry a child beneath her heart and later torment and try to starve the very same child?"
How can a mother not see her child hurt, in pain, sad, and continue to dwell into their pain, and sadness? She calls herself mom?

Anne Lyken-Garner May 1, 2012 at 7:39 AM

I've never read any of the books in this series, Judy. But someone who read my manuscript for Sunday's Child said my book and Dave's have a lot in common.

I've now found a publisher for Sunday's Child and will let you know when it's out (should be soon).

SquirrelQueen May 9, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I read this book years ago and couldn't believe one human could treat any other human that way let alone her own child. Since that time we have seen the headlines about what a mother (and father) can do to their children.