Thankful Thursday - Plumbers

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

One of my children moved back home for a while and brought two children with her. Things happen and sometimes we need some help to get back on our feet. Hubby and I understood but our budget exploded! Groceries cost twice as much, and so did the gas, electric and the water. But the water bill strangely more than doubled. As each month followed another we were getting further and further behind in our bills.

Once my daughter was able she and her children moved back out on their own and as we watched the utility and grocery bills went back to their original cost, but not the water bill. It only went down a few dollars! I went into the water department and talked to them for possible reasons for the increase in cost and they suggested we check for leaks. The kitchen, and bathroom sink both dripped. The bathtub dripped too and the toilet ran if you did not wiggle the handle after using it. We went from our previous three month bill of between $40.00 to $50.00, to one of around $160.00. Now we needed to rework the budget to get our plumbing fixed and see if plumbing repairs would make a difference in our water bill.

Hubby and I are cautious spenders, and he is a senior. Any time we can save money with his senior discount, we do, so we began to search online. We found Temecula plumbers which offered a discount for seniors of 62 years of age or more. We just had to mention their site when we made our call. They also offered a discount if you were getting multiple repairs.  We met both qualifications. Murrieta plumbing services offers free estimates and takes care of a wide range of plumbing needs from the dripping faucet to a major plumbing job like installing a new kitchen or bathroom. We have been trying for a number of years to get a bathroom installed on the lower level of our home. Maybe we can save enough on our bills to finally make that dream come true!

1. Is there a major or minor repair in your home that you have been putting off?

2. Do you do repairs yourself or call a professional?

This post linked to Thursday Two Questions! Join Amanda at Self Sagacity and enjoy the conversation that has already started. What are you waiting for?

P.S. My water bill is back down to $40 - $50.00 after we got the leaks repaired!

Thanks for visiting me today. Take care, God bless, and stay healthy!

image source

Cher March 21, 2012 at 11:33 PM

we do have minor ones, hubby tries to repair it himself because professional plumbers fee here are way too expensive! good for your hubby, he's got senior's discount. :)

SquirrelQueen March 22, 2012 at 3:11 AM

I'm glad to hear you water bill is back to normal Judy.

There are a few little odds and ends type repairs we have been putting off until the weather warms up, nothing major.

We do almost all repairs ourselves, I can't remember the last time we called someone else. We are both handy with tools and can repair most anything.

Icy BC March 22, 2012 at 6:41 AM

This same issue happened to me, the leaks that was, two years ago. My bill was double your increase..

I had to call professional to repair it as I can't do it myself.

Self Sagacity March 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I have a lot of major repairs. We put off a lot of things. The roof has a leak, we put it off for years now. The floor needs to be ripped out, we did a little bit and left the rest still. I can go on and on.
SO does most of the repairs, but when it comes to plumbing, I discourage him...It takes him twice as long as if I would call someone in. We have an awesome plumber and he is really fantastic. We love him.

Cathy Kennedy March 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM

The mere talk of water leaks remind me of a time where we had a serious problem with one. I'm talking hundreds of dollars in one month. That lesson taught us to NEVER under estimate this kind of problem again.

We have many issues with our current house. Things that need repaired, which we must wait on. Our goal is to move into another place maybe in a year, then make repairs on this place. We will either rent this house out to provide an income source or perhaps allow one of the children to stay here. This will be another chapter in our lives ready to tweak at the appropriate time. Minor repairs, DH & DS take care of these troubles. That helps a lot!

Gattina March 23, 2012 at 4:23 AM

You can't imagine what a leaking toilet costs !! We had the same "joke"

Salitype March 31, 2012 at 12:52 AM

This information is very helpful ! Hubby is not a handyman kind of guy. I keep hearing our toilet running water non-stop but I am not actually seeing anything dripping or running, just the sound of it makes me nervous. i asked him to check it and he did, but didn't know what was wrong with it. I will call a plumber and hope that takes care of the issue in our toilet.

Aligaga