Thankful Thursday - Words

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Words; aren't they fascinating, compelling, and awesome?  I have long had this fascination for words. I am in awe of those who can speak two languages and so have command of words in more than one language, and me I stop and ponder searching for the perfect word to descibe what it is I want to say and only have one language to contend with. :-) Sometimes, though I love and adore words, they are inadequate. Feelings are so intense that I stumble in my mind to find the perfect ones. They seem to be just beyond my grasp hanging out some place in space.

One of those times was after the birth of my first child. As I gazed at him with tears streaming down my cheeks euphoria took over. My heart was joyous and grateful but no words came to mind, just an extreme closeness and gratitude to God mingled with a fear of the tremendous responsibility which lay ahead; a fear of not being equal to the task and not being worthy of the gift.

1. Do you remember a time when you were caught speechless?

2. Is it something you can share with us?

Please join us at Amanda's Thursday Two Questions. The party is just starting. There is a lot to talk about. Thanks for joining me. Take care, stay healthy and God bless.

image source

Cher February 15, 2012 at 9:35 PM

i have to agree, Judy. words are always inadequate to express our feelings. i had tears of joy when i gave birth to my first born too and when i gave birth to baby Gian, i felt like giving birth for the first time. maybe because we've waited for him for too long and deeply in awe for God's perfect gift at perfect time!
belated happy v day! :)

Jim February 16, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Nice Judy ~~ I wonder who invented words for us to use? Every year there are new words accepted by the Oxford Dictionary but these are always because of popular usage. Again here, someone had to start these words off.

Your questions:
1. I can't ever remember a time when I was caught speechless.
2. When I am in an elevator with a woman who is taller than me I feel very intimidated. Not that I go around talking to people in elevators, but in this case if I had my druthers I would leave and wait for the next car.
I'm up on Two Questions on Jim's Little Blog tonight.

Cathy Kennedy February 16, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I have had moments where I was caught off guard briefly, but for the life of me I can't remember what would have left me speechless even for a few seconds.

Speaking of words not be adequent, I get that, but I also feel it's better to say something instead of nothing at all. I often times begin with "I don't know what to say, but..." I use to avoid saying anything to someone, if I felt uncomfortable with the situation and then I had a miscarriage and at that point I realized the importance of friends just showing they cared no matter what words were spoken.

Self Sagacity February 16, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Boy, you are good with words too Judy! It's a fantastic way to express your feelings. I am better behind the scenes = believe it or not!
Yes. I can write and be bold, but I am speechless all the time! As a matter of fact, I have been really kicking myself in the butt about why I am so speechless in front of a crow. So the answer is: just last week at the workshop, I was presented a little gift, award, and I said: "thank you, and thank you everyone." that was it! What I should have said was another 3 minutes of speech...
Your questions were right on the nose for me this week. As always, thanks for bringing me back to hardworkinjudy, I love to read your poems too.

JamericanSpice February 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I have language envy :) I still want to study two other languages.

1. Speechless...hmm Oh yes I do.

2. It was when a few school friends planned a surprised birthday party for me. We went to the same Spanish class together. I didn't even know them well. I was speechless and I cried.

I shared about here awhile ago:

Happy weekend!

Icy BC February 20, 2012 at 5:57 AM

I am a slow reactor, so always speechless when I heard some one says nice things to me, and when I heard harsh words.

I am speechless also to see the beauty of sky, flowers, and things in nature in general, every day!

SquirrelQueen February 21, 2012 at 2:01 AM

You are right Judy, sometimes there are moments when words, as wonderful as they are, are not adequate. While few things have left me speechless there has been a time or two, mostly related to nature. I remember the first time I saw the Northern Lights fill the sky above me, no words could describe my feelings.