Thankful Thursday - Shaon

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

In November I made a trip to my attic looking for Christmas ornaments to help Chris and Mari decorate their first tree and to my surprise I came across this photo that Ruby had taken just about 16 1/2 years ago. You see, Shaon turned 17 on Sunday.  When he was born he weighed 1 lb 7 ozs. and went down to 1 lb 2 ozs. before he began to gain weight. Before we could bring him home months later, we (my daughter, Ruby and I) had to take infant CPR classes. He came home with a monitor and oxygen tank. Look at this happy guy. This is after he was able to breathe completely on his own.

When my daughter's twins were little, Shaon used to get up early in the morning with them on week ends so my daughter could get some much needed rest. He is a wonderful big brother who takes pride in being a role model to the younger ones. He is active in sports, and they are active in dance, basketball and hockey. When given the choice of taking the bus or walking to school, he picked walking for the exercise.

He is Mom's right hand, and also comes over to help me with chores in a pinch.  Their living room wall displays some of his paintings and the air is full of his laughter. God bless you, Shaon, on your birthday. He inspires me.

Jesus spoke of the children leading us into the kingdom and I truly believe that our young have pure and beautiful hearts. It is up to us to nurture them and encourage them and then to learn to return to the innocence of our youth.

1. What do you think our worst mistake is when raising our young? I think parents are far too indulgent and afraid to say no to them while not giving them the encouragement, understanding, and discipline that they need.

2. What is the most effective punishment? I always found that taking privileges away worked real well. I used to have game systems and televisions in my car trunk when I went to work. The children had to earn their entertainment systems back by improving their grades or behavior.

This post linked to Thursday Two Questions. Amanda always has some interesting topics brewing.  Thanks so much for visiting me today. Take care, stay healthy and God bless!

Jim February 9, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Hi Judy ~~ Thank you for reading in my 'Ask Dr. Jim (blog)' and for leaving the nice comment.

I also noted that you missed my 'two questions' last week. It will be on Jim's Little Blog.

I like these questions. My answers will be:
1. What do you think our worst mistake is when raising our young?
Children of all ages need physical, mental, and moral protection. They are unable to protect themselves in many ways, even sometimes after they are old enough to leave home. That is our major job, prepare them for the tough world out there.
As a Christian, I think the very worst mistake is to not teach them in the way of Christ and His love and then hope and pray that they will follow Him.

2. What is the most effective punishment? A thorough explanation of where they went wrong and then generally a denial of privileges for a reasonable time appropriate for their ages and reasoning ability. I have spanked a little but think most times it is done out of anger rather than doing any attempt to teach them. My dad was very abusive, physically. He lost my respect at a very young age.

SquirrelQueen February 9, 2012 at 4:17 AM

That is a great photo Judy, it must have given to a big smile to find it. It looks like Shaon has turned into a very handsome young man.

I think you are right that parents are too indulgent these days. They seem to want to be a friend to their children and are afraid to discipline. My parents were somewhat strict but fair, I think what they did made me a better person.

I am also a believer in taking away privileges. It seems to be the most effective punishment and teaches kids responsibility.

Icy BC February 10, 2012 at 7:00 AM

I'm glad he is doing well and inspires you, Judy!

As for discipline, I practice what you've mentioned here. The worst mistake for parents to do is afraid of taking charge of the situation, and let the children know who are the parents!

JamericanSpice February 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I agree. We can learn so much from our children if we realize we are teachable while being teachers.

So glad you found such a gem so you could share this beautiful story.

1. One of: I think parents are lazy and would rather let the kids run their own lives.
It is hard being a parent but you didn't have to be if you didn't want to. I think parents should make it a duty , a precious duty to parent their children and if they need help, ask questions and do research to help make you a better parent.

2. It depends on the thing that warrants the punishment.
For most apologies I require a note be written to the offended party and read to the person and then a hug.
Other times, just a regular apologzy will surfice.

If it's bigger stuff then yes they will lose priviledges of playing with a toy or so on.

And a reward to play our xbox is good grades all week.

Happy Weekend!

Self Sagacity February 10, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I think there were a lot of mistakes that the past generations did, but at the same time, they did a lot of things that were good that I am not doing. But there was one thing that stood out that I just don't think was right, the enormous focus on religion and forcing it on the kids all the time -
I can't ever make my punishments or penalties work with my second son. Never ever work, perhaps it's my parenting, that being said, I don't think I have any good technique.

Anne Lyken-Garner February 11, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I'm with you there, Judy. I think parents are far too indulgent. Kids aren't fragile. They're robust and should be encouraged to learn what life is really like. I think they should do chores, be allowed to climb and rub about, and even fall down now and then. They'll never learn to get up (both spiritually and physically) if they've never fallen. I love my kids and I want the best for them, but I'm not an indulgent parent.

Your daughter looks so much like you, Judy. I love her hands. She's got beautiful hands. She should be a hand model.

betchai February 12, 2012 at 11:29 PM

happy birthday to Shaon, Judy. Glad he is doing so well now, inspires you and the rest of his siblings.
I think when parents are afraid to show they are parent and say no despite they know the child's choice will not bring good is a mistake, some parents are afraid to be parent thinking their child will love them less.