Being a renter is looking tempting

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Can you imagine an apartment with hardwood floors, a fireplace, picture windows with stunning views, a dishwasher, clothes washer, dryer and loads of other amenities included? I came across this while looking at Edmonton apartments for rent. These apartments have everything we are looking for in a home.

Hubby and I just spent a week without heat. Annually we can count on our furnace going out at least once. Having bought the home in 1994 I purchased a one year warranty on the home and just a few months after it expired my furnace went out. I called a repairman and he placed a padlock on my furnace and informed me it was not repairable. He charged me for this service. Well this was in 1995. I took out a loan and had a new furnace installed. Every year since it has needed repaired.

Hubby and I have been together since 1998. We had to replace our water heater and have had numerous plumbing repairs. We have finally come to a point where we are wondering if home ownership is worth the hassle and expense especially when you can find such gorgeous apartments for rent!

We are seriously considering renting instead of purchasing. The 30 year mortgage seems like it drags on forever and instead of our home increasing in value, today's economy places our home's value way below it's original appraisal price. When you rent you no longer have to bear the brunt of repair costs or labor and you can have more time to just sit back and relax while you enjoy the beauty of your home, your children and or grandchildren and your hobbies. I am tempted. How about you?

Thank you for visiting me today. Take care and God bless.

Journaling Woman January 4, 2012 at 7:55 AM

That is an awesome apartment and tempting.

Teresa

Cher January 5, 2012 at 1:50 AM

what a beautiful apartment to rent!

Happy New Year, Judy!

Anne Lyken-Garner January 5, 2012 at 5:18 AM

I'm sometimes tempted too. However, when you rent you can never have the home exactly as you want it. I can decorate whenever I want and use the colours that suit us. The bills and repairs sometimes put me off ownership, though.

goodselfme January 6, 2012 at 1:14 AM

I too have often thought about a rental without the responsibilities of ownership. I still own so have not made that move. Lovely place! Happy New Year Sister!

JamericanSpice January 16, 2012 at 5:34 PM

It is a task taking care of a home. Wouldn't you know it that the moment we bought our home is when the bathroom plumbing problem came to a head and we had to shell out $$$$ to get it fixed! ugh. And I'm thinking. The whole 20odd years they owned this home, no problem (well for this) and then we buy it and less than a year, we end up having problems.

I think if I get to an old age, I'd rather rent.

SquirrelQueen January 22, 2012 at 7:52 PM

If we could have found a rental that looked that good we might not have bought a home. After many years of renting we bought this home in 2004 and we love it. Fortunately both of us are very handy and can repair most anything. If we had to call someone for every problem I don't think we would have purchased a home.