Thankful Thursday - For those special moments

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

You know there are two kinds of moments that seem to stand out in my mind; the duh moment and the ah hah moment. When I have a day with more ah hah moments than duh moments, it is a good day for me! :-)

I have been taking photos with the same camera for about a year. I had an Olympus before and the tulip picture meant macro shooting for flowers. This point and shoot Kodak has a picture of a tall tulip and a short tulip standing side by side. I have used it several times and only got satisfactory photos on a few occasions. Well, the other day as I was scrolling through the choices I came across one with a single short tulip and it read for flower shots 28 inches or closer. Hmmm... How many months did I have to wait for this ah hah moment? Not telling, but I like the photos better! I admit it, I am not tech savvy. :-)

I think God may have made me a little slow in some areas to improve my patience. Have you ever noticed how when someone has to teach you something they act like it is such an imposition? I  try very hard not to come across like that. God did not make us all the same and we should not expect all people to grasp the same concepts as easily. People do not learn well when you make them feel stupid so I try to reassure and help them to move forward. Icy BC, Chan, and Ruthi do that for me in my ignorance of computer issues. Thanks, guys!!

1) What are your areas of expertise?
2) Do you enjoy teaching others?

Please join us at Amanda's Two Question Thursday for a lively conversation. You pick the topic and we will all join in.

betchai October 12, 2011 at 10:20 PM

"Have you ever noticed how when someone has to teach you something they act like it is such an imposition? "- I believe when I was new to teaching, I was kind of like what you described, I had difficulty understanding why students cannot pay attention, cannot solve a very simple Math or Chemistry or Physics problem, and I may had come too strong. My first few months was definitely a struggle as I tried to understand my students, why math and the logical world is hard for them. It taught me patience, it taught me perseverance. I had no problem then teaching the brightest minds, but to me, that was not the point of teaching, I must reach out tho those who needed the help the most. I started to feel inner joy in what I do and I know will be the career of my life when I started getting smiling faces, hugs, thank you notes for making Math doable for them, and some feeling they are smart. There are still some challenges up to now, but I have learned to become patient but the joy I feel whenever a student would say, "I thought I can never do Math, but you opened my mind to this powerful world, I love you Mrs...", I know, I will continue to teach as long as the passion stays. So, yes, I love teaching others since that is what I chose to do in my life, and my expertise is Math and Physical Sciences.

Beautiful mosaic, the combination really stands out.

♥~Judy~♥ October 12, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Betchai, so now you are one of the ones who is responsible for encouraging the ah hah moments!! So you are truly gifted, not only in language, photography, math but also in teaching. God bless!

CHAN LEE PENG October 13, 2011 at 3:17 AM

Everyone needs a good and loyal friend in life as our life is packed with many ups and downs. Take care and stay well!

Anne Lyken-Garner October 13, 2011 at 7:07 AM

I try not to be like that. I have a dyslexic friend and she often asks me to repeat numbers or spelling. I try to be extra patient. (My son is dyslexic too).

Your macro shots are wonderful - some of your best so far.

Thank God, I can do many things well. Tech stuff is not one of them, though. I've been trying to get the comment box working on my new site.

I do enjoy teaching others, but only if they actually want to learn.

Raw Thoughts And Feelings October 13, 2011 at 7:52 AM

I'm mishmash person, and has no expertise. I can learn what I don't know, and yes I enjoy "showing" it to other. I prefer the word showing or guiding rather than teaching :-) It's more humble.

Self Sagacity October 13, 2011 at 3:52 PM

wow, Betchai wrote a book! Just teasing ladies.
Talking about "tech-not" first, your link on the meme was to SelfSagacity, so I had to look on your blogs for your TTQ post and edit the link to point to this post. So there is real proof to what you're saying. LOL. Don't get mad though, I am only kidding around for some humor. I didn't mind doing it at all.
1) tough question for me, since I can do most things, but just not an expert - like guru at all. I have become more savvy in reading and using html. Creating, ideas, and follow up.
2) I enjoy sharing, but not so much teaching. I don't mind the how to, as long as that person can figure out the in between lines or do a little homework on their own. I think it is part of not having time to be patient?

JamericanSpice October 15, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Very good article!

I am not sure of my area of expertise. I could say dancing.

2. Yes I love teaching others but I'm impatient and your post just let me promise myself to be careful in how I share in regards to how I'd like to be shared with.

SquirrelQueen October 18, 2011 at 4:29 AM

We all have those ah hah moments, some are exciting and others are how did I miss that. I have been using this camera for years and keep finding new features.

I'm not an expert at much of anything but I dabble in lots of different things.

I used to teach CPR and First Aid and I loved it, in ten years I taught over 2000 people. Patience is the key to teaching.