Scrubs have come a long way

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Remember the horrid white stockings?

Initially scrubs were boring white, but this was an improvement over the previous apparel worn by surgeons and the medical staff. Surgeons would show up for surgery wearing street clothes and wear an apron over those that closely resembled a butcher's apron. It would be splattered with blood and body fluids shortly into the shift. This was not only unsanitary but frightening to others. Also with the glaring lights in the operating room the bright white scrubs caused the staff to endure eye fatigue and make patients uncomfortable.

Medical staff switched to surgical greens, softer on the eyes and made of durable fabric which would bear up after repeated washes. Soon hospitals were stocking scrubs and all medical professionals were expected them to wear them. This tradition carried over from hospitals and clinics to doctor's offices and urgent care offices.

Now we can find scrubs in any color imaginable and in prints. We can find wonderful accessories, varied styles, and even styles that are anti-microbial. There are bright and cheery prints for medical staff working with children, even some with cartoon characters. Scrubs can look highly professional and be fun at the same time.

image source
image source

SquirrelQueen June 5, 2011 at 2:22 AM

I have memories of those white stockings and starchy white dresses, no wonder I hated going to the doctor as a child. The new scrubs are a definite improvement.

forgetmenot June 5, 2011 at 8:42 AM

My husband has been a doctor for 25 years,a surgeon, so we've had a ton of "green ones" around forever. My daughter is in Physical Therapy school and scrubs are the "clothing of choice" for them to wear too. You are so right, her scrubs are all colors and patterns, but her favorite ones are either red or blue with a Kansas University Jayhawk on them. Have a nice Sunday. Mickie :)

forgetmenot June 5, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Teresa aka JW June 5, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Scrubs look very comfortable.

SweetMemoirs June 6, 2011 at 4:05 AM

the university i went to still require nursing students to have those white stockings. lol!

Anne Lyken-Garner June 6, 2011 at 9:17 AM

I'd go as far as to say they're glamorous. I wear blue scrubs for a show I do and they hang on me like a clothes-horse, and not a sexy one!