Hard Earned Money Down the Drain

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My dear friend, Lee works in the educational field and writes both at Triond and Factoidz. Lee was writing at Triond when I started in the summer of 2007 and we have been good friends almost from the beginnning. Some people you meet online begin to be like family. He is one and Icy and Anne are two more that mean a lot to me. We have truly supported one another in our passion for writing, since the beginning, and our efforts to make money at it. I have always felt that I could count on them.

My friend, Lee, in an effort to branch out has been reviewing sites that allow one to host their own site to help authors and photographers market their content. This site would be one where they could write a paragraph or two about their current work and post a link and we could all support one another. In reading up on a particularly promising site called Arsidian Lee thought he had found the ideal place. A few others just did not seem to offer what he wanted. This one promised lifetime support and a 30 day money back guarantee. After using paypal to purchase the script for $80.00 and working on it nearly around the clock for two days, he found it be corrupt. The site would not open and support turned deaf ears on his requests for help. All it displayed was an error page.

He contacted Paypal and they stated that if Arsidian did not want to work with him they would consider the matter resolved.

1. How do we help our friends when they have been burned?

2. Have you ever been cheated online and been able to resolve the issue?

This post is linked to Thursday Two Questions. Thanks so much for visiting me. Take care and God bless!

CHAN LEE PENG June 15, 2011 at 11:47 PM

That was sad to know. Someone should avoid purchasing any product at this fraud site.

Deanna June 15, 2011 at 11:48 PM

So sorry to hear about Lee's trouble. You just never know who to trust online. I hope he finds a way to resolve it and get his money back.

Is the photo on this post one you took? This spring I took photos of "leafless" trees in our state park and my daughter thought I was crazy. For some reason, I love the look of trees without leaves. What would a shrink say about that?

Deanna

♥~Judy~♥ June 16, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Deanna, I liked it because of the contrast of the stark tree against the dark sky. I love skies of many different colors. There is always something so appealing about sky watching. I prefer a tree with leaves, but I found the tree amazing at this time. :-) It's one of my favorite trees; a golden rain tree.

A shrink might say anything, but who is capable of defining crazy, particularly based on something like the preference of beauty? God created it all and us. Isn't that beautiful?

Thanks for visiting and God bless! They call me crazy too. :-)

Poetic Shutterbug June 16, 2011 at 12:36 AM

1. how horrible. There are so many scammers out there online. I think the only way to help now is be his friend and support him. It's difficult to lose that amount of money when you trusted something or someone. As far as paypal there should be something he can do. They have a buyer protection plan but I don't know if it applies to this situation.

2. Yes, I was scammed once. I joined a site called ad cash generator that was referred to me by a friend. Basically you paid some cash to join then you would review website and get paid for each website you clicked. Long story short the owner of the site took off with everyone's money and never paid anyone. I lost $45.00 but there was nothing I could do about it. You have to be really careful online.

Tes June 16, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Oh no, I feel bad for Lee! Thank you for writing about this Judy. It will serve as a warning to a lot of us. I hope and pray Lee gets his hard-earned money back. *hugs*

♥~Judy~♥ June 16, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Poetic Shutterbug, how awful! I am so sorry to hear that you were scammed. I don't think your friend had anything to do with it but it sounds like they too were scammed. It is a shame that something can not be done about such a thing. It is wrong.

♥~Judy~♥ June 16, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Tes, thank you. I am sure it will make him feel better to know that others will not get scammed too.

He does work hard for his money. We know that writing does not make us a lot of money or quick money.

SquirrelQueen June 16, 2011 at 3:04 AM

It's a shame that Lee got burned by this site. I am very distrusting of websites that are not well known.

I have never been cheated online but I have friends who have. PayPal has a very good resolution center, Lee should be able to file a complaint and get his money back.

Self Sagacity June 16, 2011 at 4:35 AM

1)I am not sure, since Paypal was really good in helping Anne. She had posted about being scammed online and having success with Paypal. Perhaps she can give some light in how to deal with Paypal.
2) I don't think so, when I see anything that asked for money in advance, I stuck to my rule= walk away. No matter how tempted, how cheap, how wonderful it might be.

Icy BC June 16, 2011 at 6:49 AM

1) Sorry that it happened to Lee, and I hope PayPal can be of helped. Just be there, listening, and understanding would be my way to support a friend.

2) When it comes to the dollar sign, I am always on the alert, especially when I have to come up with a big chunk of money up front.

forgetmenot June 16, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Unfortunately, more and more "scams" are taking place these days. One always has to proceed with caution--but everything has risk to it anymore. So sorry about your friend--hope he can find some kind of restitution. Mickie :)

Lisa Ricard Claro June 16, 2011 at 10:43 PM

This is a cautionary tale, to be sure. It is so difficult to know who to trust, especially online. I hope your friend is able to collect a refund.

Luna Miranda June 17, 2011 at 1:05 AM

it's sad when hardworking friends are scammed. listening and understanding would be a good way to show support.

i don't trust anything on line. i never do money transactions on line except for airline tickets.

☆☆Mumsy June 18, 2011 at 6:24 AM

I hope PayPal will help your friend in getting his money back. It is wise to be cautious, and not allowing an obsession to over looked the obvious..

goodselfme June 18, 2011 at 9:42 PM

I am always sorry when a scam happens. The scammers go on their merry way while the victim suffers for a long time. I will stand beside Lee and hope all wounds heal. Blessings

Blogger Broadcast June 19, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Sometimes I am invited to different assignments, but then I test their patience to see if they are legit. Once in a while I would catch a scammer this way.