Thankful Thursday - Support

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My daughter proudly invited me to my grand children's dance recital and I was only too glad to go. Ruby and her husband, Aaron spent their last few dollars buying up all the flowers they could find at our local supermarket and we sorted through them to salvage three bouquets of flowers so she could give them to our dancers to show our support.

I apologize for the quality of the photos. We sat in the balcony. There was a tremendous turn out to watch the dancers even though it was cold and rainy and my point and shoot did its best. So did our young performers. I am so proud of the effort they put into this fine show.

1.  How do you show your support to those you love? Maybe your ideas will help others to be supportive. :-)

2. What do you remember as being a supportive moment that you really appreciated?  It's funny but sometimes we get support in unexpected places. When I was raising my four children by myself, working full time and going to school full time, my oldest son would just be so contrary sometimes. He would blast his music when I would try to catch a minute to cram for an exam or find some way to be distracting when I was studying..

One day he told me I was his inspiration. He worked two jobs while attending high school, and was a B student. I was getting a 4.0 in college. He felt competitive towards me so would try to shake me. He was getting a B to be like me. So I had to keep getting an A. :-)

Thanks so much for visiting me today. Your visits mean so much and I cannot wait til I get out of work tomorrow to return some of them. This post linked to Thursday Two Questions. Take care and God bless!

Anne Lyken-Garner May 19, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Everyone needs a different kind of support, I guess. So supporting loved ones is always tailored to suit their needs. This is the way I look at it. Our 3 kids are all different so they need a different kind of love - a different kind of parenting.

I remember a teacher called, Mr Williams and my aunt Theresa who were like my angels when I was growing up in an abusive home. I wouldn't be here today without them.

SquirrelQueen May 19, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Being supportive is an important part of family life. I try to be there for my family, to listen to their ups and downs. I think knowing someone cares is the best support possible.

My husband has always been supportive of my projects and anything I want to do. As an example he doesn't mind if dinner is late or if it is carry out instead of home cooked.

jabblog May 20, 2011 at 8:37 AM

It is very special to be able to watch young children performing. Your grandchildren must have been delighted to know you took the time to go and see them.

Lynette Killam May 20, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I really liked the story about your son, Judy. I find one of the easiest ways to show support is by looking someone in the eyes , and telling them how much you love them. Growing up in an alcohol-fueled home that was in chaos most of the time, I don't recall ever being told I was loved. I make sure with my sons to let them know often what a joy they are to me.

And simply listening can do wonders for a friend in need...not interrupting with advise or judgments...just listening with an open heart.

Your post is a great reminder to us all that nothing is so precious as supporting the people we love the most...:)

Luna Miranda May 20, 2011 at 11:49 AM

what an inspiring story about you and your son.

i show my support to those i love by being there when they need a cheerleader, a shoulder to cry on, a listener.

we're not a demonstrative family but when i got heart-broken at 17, my baby brother comforted me in his awkward, endearing way. he even talked to the boy who broke my heart--man to man.:p i'd never forget that.

Self Sagacity May 20, 2011 at 12:31 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
SweetMemoirs May 21, 2011 at 11:53 PM

i remember waking up earlier than usual during my daughter's exams and me & the hubby would personally bring her to school (our househelp does it most of the time) to give her our moral support. :)

take care and Godbless too!

Self Sagacity May 27, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Sometimes we get busy with our lives and we don't get involve enough with others to support them. I am learning to be more of what I want myself to be.
1) I reach out, and speak with actions rather than words. Like they say, words are cheap and action speaks louder.
2) I think my family is doing just that for me now , and I am very appreciative.
Thanks for playing along, always good to have you on board. ;-)