Thankful Thursday - Affirmations

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Have you ever seen the drawing of the little boy that reads "I am somebody, cause God doesn't make junk!"?

I have seen that particular statement taped on many a wall and had made a copy for myself long ago. Maybe you are not like me. Maybe you never suffer from self doubt. Maybe you do not have the need to hear positive things about yourself from time to time. But if you do, Dove sells dark chocolate candy wrapped in affirmations. I placed three of these sweet sayings, which I found by unwrapping chocolates on the three above photos. Just knowing that I am not alone in my desire to be affirmed makes me feel better. :-) I found this quote in Robert Schuler's book Pearls of Power:

"The easiest job for God to do is to keep you and me humble. God's biggest job is to get us to believe that we are somebody and that we  really can do something."

My thanks to my friend, Anne, who gave me the bag of dark chocolate Doves. She got to work before me and hid them in my cubicle drawer. :-)

My two questions this week are:

When was the last time you witnessed a spontaneous act of kindness?

Were you on the giving or the receiving end?

Lets keep the circle going. Please join me for Thursday Two Questions. It's lots of fun and easy. Thanks for visiting me today! Take care and God bless!

Poetic Shutterbug April 27, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Affirmations are so inspirational. They give us hope and confidence. I did not know dove has them in their candy bars, I'll have to check that out.

The one that sticks out in my mind, I was on the receiving end. Long story I'll try and make short. I was in Santa Cruz in February seeing my friends perform and I had to get up the next morning and leave my motel room at 5:30 a.m. to catch my bus in the downtown area. It was still dark and absolutely freezing cold. I knew approximately where the bus stop was but could not find it.

I kept walking and knew I was walking too far when I saw a yellow cab. I hailed him down and he drove me two blocks back to where the bus stop was located.

I went to get out of the cab when he said "no it's too dark and cold out there, you can wait in here until the bus comes." So I waited with him inside the taxi, we talked and it was just the nicest thing he could have done when really he did not have to wait there with me. He went above and beyond the call that morning.

I wrote to his supervisors to let them know how kind he was. I hope he got a raise for that :)

Sylvia K April 27, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Beautiful post for the day, Judy! And a lovely reminder! Thank you! Hope your week is going well! Thanks as always for your visit and comment!

Sylvia

♥~Judy~♥ April 28, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Poetic Shutterbug, that is such a touching story. Thanks for sharing it with us. I hope he got a raise too!

Sylvia, I do love your new header and your blog always has something positive to offer the reader!

Thanks and God bless!

Self Sagacity April 28, 2011 at 2:10 AM

About once every three months, I pack-up some bags and take them to Goodwill for donation. I usually enlist Trinity's help, and in return she gets to pick-up one item.
When we got to the line, Trinity wanted an additional item. I wasn't prepared with the cash. A boy who was about my son's age handed me a coupon because he couldn't use it. I was able to get the second item because the coupon made it possible.
He didn't have to do that, as a matter of fact at his age normally kids would just throw the coupon away thoughtlessly. It was very kind of him. I also admire him for being observant and being able to reach out to a stranger at such a young age.

SquirrelQueen April 28, 2011 at 5:38 AM

What a wonderful post Judy. I didn't know that about Dove chocolates either.

I think acts of kindness are all around us, but some are very small. Like today, I was at the post office and saw a lady walking up the steps with an arm load of packages. I held the door for her even though it took her a little time to get up the steps. I have had others do the same thing for me. It doesn't take a lot of effort to give a smile or a moment of your time. Little things like this always make me smile no matter which side I'm on.

☆☆Mumsy April 28, 2011 at 6:50 AM

It has been a long time since I witness any spontaneous kindness. I'm very lucky to be on the receiving end at times, and I try to give whenever I can.

♥~Judy~♥ April 28, 2011 at 8:17 AM

I love reading about the kind acts you have witnessed and I agree with you Judy that it is not the size of the act - a smile is sufficient.

Amanda, isn't it nice when children catch the "giving" bug?

The dark chocolates are the ones sold in a bag and wrapped in bite sized pieces, and don't forget that dark chocolate is heart healthy. :-)

Thanks and God bless!

Boonie S April 28, 2011 at 9:36 AM

This is an interesting post. Thanks for sharing.

Have a good day, Boonie

-☼-Icy BC April 28, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Oh Judy, living in Metro Detroit where the economy is so bad, and everyone for themselves, it is hard to see any kindness around here.

I caught a man going through my recycle bin for bottles to return, and I know there were none in there, so I went inside and take my bag of bottle to give it to him. It feels good to do just a small thing like that.

Margaret Duarte April 28, 2011 at 12:56 PM

1. I need to pay more attention. I'm sure, subconscioulsy, I'm witnessing acts of kindness everyday. I'm just to busy to stop and recognize them.

That said, when my granddaughters got stuck in a corral of mud yesterday and started crying that they would be stuck there forever, their uncle made his way through the deep muck to "rescue" them with no thought of damage to his boots and jeans or about getting stuck himself.

2. I was only an observer, but it warmed my heart to hear my granddaughters say, "Thank you, uncle Jon. You saved our lives."

Donnie April 28, 2011 at 2:54 PM

You have a sweet coworker and I'm sure the kindness will continue.

DoanLegacy April 28, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Last year, when my two young healthy neighbor friends came over to shovel snow off my driveway so I could go to church.

I returned their kindness by allowing them to plug in to my electric outlet when they had problem with theirs.

JamericanSpice April 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM

I did see this , just yesterday with my children.

I'm not often around adults to see this, but I heard it all the time from my friends.

Aloha :)