The Wonderful Boring Whiteness of Winter

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wondering about the weather, when it will change to spring
Weary of the whiteness of snow on everything

Whining and complaining
wanting warmer days
Whining is just
a temporary phase

Then I hear of earthquakes
upon other shores
Nuclear reactors have added to their chores
Worries and dangers mount
Impossible to count
Wouldn't they trade their earthquakes for a winter day?
The boring whiteness of winter is wonderful today!

We are celebrating "W" today for Alphabe-Thursday. Get out your thinking caps and join in the fun at Jenny Matlock's, but on a more serious note, Japan is dealing bravely with life threatening catatastrophes. If you or someone you know would like to donate to the cause here is a link to help:

Thanks so much for visiting me and God bless!

photo source for last photo

La March 16, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Your poem really hits home. It has been a horrendous winter....until you look at the suffering and despair in Japan. Suddenly, winter's not so bad.

magsmcc March 16, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Well done, you!

Jackie March 16, 2011 at 8:31 PM

This is so wonderful ! that was really very good . I couldn't have said it better . Wow !

JDaniel4's Mom March 16, 2011 at 8:55 PM

It really is all in the way we look at it.

Jingle March 16, 2011 at 9:37 PM

wonderful w words..

smiles.

Teresa March 16, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Truly one's perspective is very important. Very nicely put.

Judie March 16, 2011 at 11:16 PM

I am an artist and I hardly ever see just white! Would you like lessons??

Annesphamily March 16, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Excellent poem. Thanks for your thoughts. It makes us more grateful for what we do have does'nt it?

Theresa March 17, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Perspective. Great W Post!

Anne Lyken-Garner March 17, 2011 at 9:19 AM

You've put this in perspective, Judy. I feel so bad for the poor Japanese people. I hope things start to get better now. I've seen images of entire towns decimated.

Judie March 17, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Judy, I think I offended you with my comment, and I did not mean to at all. Your writing is lovely and the pictures were excellent.

I do know what you mean about white. I certainly would take the white over the devastation in Japan any day.

forgetmenot March 17, 2011 at 9:53 AM

In light of all that is going on in the world, our little "spot" seems quite peaceful, quiet, and blessed. We become so "wise" when we learn to appreciate what we have (or don't have) happening to us. Have a calm, beautiful day. Mickie

♥-Icy BC-♥ March 17, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Wonderful poem, Judy! Yes, sometimes we're not just contented until we heard of tragedy.

☆☆Mumsy March 17, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Michigan winter has too many gray and white days for sure, but not lack in beauties. It indeed inspires such a wonderful poem from you!

Judy Sheldon-Walker March 17, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Judie, I am just saying that this is not one of my favorite seasons. By the time it is over the spring blossoms are such a welcome sight! I have felt guilty for my complaints after hearing about the earthquake. My complaining is so juvenile.

I was never offended, just puzzled. I thought you misunderstand my meaning.

Thanks so much for coming back to visit me again. God bless!

taylorsoutback March 18, 2011 at 10:39 AM

We share the same viewpoint...I had also been down and whining with our endless winter...until I started seeing the devastation coming out of Japan...our snow and ice is such a simple thing to deal with.

LindyLouMac in Italy March 18, 2011 at 2:46 PM

You are so right we must all learn to be grateful when we not those facing the brunt of nature's turmoil!

Jenny March 20, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Nature can be a wicked taskmaster.

I can't imagine still having snow right now, but neither can imagine living through what the Japanese people are enduring.

Weather is a great humbler, I think. It really reminds us we are not in charge!

Thanks for a wonderful stop on my journey through Alphabe-Thursday's letter "W".

This was perfect.

A+

FiveSibesMom March 20, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Hi!Popping over from Shadow Shot Sunday. Love your winter pics! Hope you'll stop by and visit us! Happy Sunday!

nothingprofound March 21, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Sometimes, unfortunately, it takes a shock like that to make us realize how infinitesimally small our problems are.

SquirrelQueen March 21, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Many of us seem to be whining about the weather right now although snow to me is not as dreary as the rain.

My heart aches for the people of Japan, nature can be very cruel.

Self Sagacity March 24, 2011 at 12:52 AM

I too whine about the weather now. But yes, I know, I am still lucky.