Thankful Thursday - Help

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

In Michigan our world is covered in a thick blanket of snow. The only places (outdoors) that are not covered are because man has removed the snow. Our custodial staff has just shoveled our walkway at work and is now pouring salt down to melt the falling snow. (center bottom pic)

There was almost 2 feet of snow at the end of my driveway!

This morning I got up and went out to heat up my car finding snow up to my ankles and higher in some spots. At the end of my driveway our road crew had piled about two feet of hard packed snow. I started shoveling but as I glanced at my watch and blew my nose repeatedly (caught a cold yesterday) I begin to get worried. I knew I had to leave for work in half an hour. Could I get this cleared in time? I went inside and called BB. My baby boy, Chris, has a wonderful heart, and I am not just saying that because he is my son. He just got off work, as he works third shift. "What cha doing?" I ask. "Why?" he asked.

I was running out of time.

"Sweetie, I feel like crap. I caught a cold and have to be to work shortly. I don't think I can get the driveway cleared fast enough to make it to work on time." Chris says, well, I'm 15 minutes away, and asked if I thought he could help. Now you tell me, a young strapping man standing over 6 feet tall or a 50+ woman.. who is going to get a car out of a snowed in drive first?

I made it to work in time

Thanks, Chris. I offered to give him gas money and he refused. He cleared me out and we wished each other a good day. He's off to sleep and me to work.

1. Ever notice how in-climate weather brings out the best in people?
  2. Has anyone done something special for you lately?
Thanks so much for visiting me today. Why not join us in TTQ? It's a lot of fun. Take care and God bless.

Self Sagacity February 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM

1) Yes, I think when people are in the same boat, they seemed to be a lot more open and helpful.
2) No.

Judy Sheldon-Walker February 3, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Amanda, I wish I was near by, I would do something nice for you. :-) You deserve it. Maybe you can do something nice for yourself.

Thanks for the visit. God bless!

BTW, it was jsheldonwalker that I closed.

SquirrelQueen February 3, 2011 at 4:02 AM

Don't you just "love" those berms that the snow plows leave behind, sometimes they are so hard packed it is almost impossible to move them without another snow plow.

That was really nice of Chris to come over and lend a hand. I do think the nasty weather brings out the best in people.

Yes, my sweet hubs on a regular basis.

Ruthi February 3, 2011 at 6:31 AM

1. I believe so too. And I believe that people are basically good... inside.
2. Yes, Hubby removed 10 inches of snow from my car... at 11 pm last night after he was out all day plowing [almost] everyone's yard.

Single country gal February 3, 2011 at 9:35 AM

1. I believe that people tend to be more helpful when they think that they are or might be in the same way now or in the future.

2. Yes, My neighbor just went up anfd payed my rent and got my mail for me because the parking lot is covered in ice and I can't walk on ice.

Margaret Duarte February 3, 2011 at 11:01 AM

1. In times of need, I think people forget about their own small worlds and recoginize they are part of a greater world.
2. Sounds like we are both blessed with wonderful family. I can't begin to count how often my family has helped me out in times of need.

forgetmenot February 3, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Asolutely true--people come through in times of trouble including this cold, snowy weather. Sounds like you raised a great son. It was 0 here last night and we had huge drifts in the most inconvenient places. Stay warm.

Luna Miranda February 3, 2011 at 1:16 PM

i am always attracted to bare trees. maybe because they're not a common sight in my part of the world.

1) our in-climate here would be during the rainy/monsoon season. i find people a bit grumpy during the wet months.:p

2) yes...someone reassured me that change can be good then took me to lunch.:p

DoanLegacy February 3, 2011 at 7:44 PM

1) Yes, my neighbor came over to plow the snow off for me. He is very kind like that every year.

2) My son shovel half of our driveway out for me too.

JamericanSpice February 4, 2011 at 1:01 AM

I'm glad you got to work on time.

1. It is true that experience brings understanding. So when everyone is in the same boat, there's more understanding and a need to help each other.

2. My bestfriend called me today :)

Aloha.

Lui February 4, 2011 at 2:20 AM

That sounds scary! My friend in the US and Australia are having more difficult time as well. When I needed something I will also call for help and surprisingly, people will not hesitate to extend a hand. You need to reach out for others to reach you.

Have a safe weekend!

Donnie February 4, 2011 at 9:03 PM

I am blessed with sons like that too. Hope this snow doesn't last too long. Take care.

Anne Lyken-Garner February 6, 2011 at 3:42 PM

What a wonderful boy! I hope mine grows up to be decent and hard-working and helpful.
I try to count all the little things people do for me. I've been blessed lately.

♥-Icy BC-♥ February 6, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Oh Judy, the snow are packed so tight at the end of my driveway from the snow plow that it's so hard to remove.

People tend to help each other when they are in the same situation!

Judy Sheldon-Walker February 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Anne, with you as his mother, I have no doubt that he will grow up to be a fine young man.