Get a Free Auto Insurance Quote

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A few years ago I puzzled over a newspaper article that warned drivers of the dangers of pothole damage to their vehicle. In Michigan we are accustomed to dealing with huge potholes as spring breaks. Flowers bloom and the roads sprout huge holes! But the kicker to this article was a warning by the city that damages were not the responsibility of the city unless they were advised of the whereabouts of the pothole at least 30 days in advance. Does that make sense? Would I warn the city of a pothole then purposely drive into it? I had to smile at this.

But seriously, once a year my husband checks the rates of various auto insurance companies to ensure that we are getting not only the best price but the best insurance for our dollar. It is mandatory in our state that one maintains insurance on their vehicle so comparing companies and their rates is a wise move. Today's technology makes it even easier. I have found a number of sites that offer free quotes and I like the idea of getting them before I get on the phone. I pay for minutes on my phone.

If you are confused by the jargon used by insurance agents; collision, comprehension, liability, deductible, full coverage, no fault, and so forth you will like this site too.  They break it down in easy to understand layman terms. After we experience an accident or loss is not the time to familiarize ourselves with these terms and find out what and how much our insurance covers. At this site you can get these questions answered and more without having to leave home. This information is invaluable and can save you immeasurably in the long run.

This post linked to Thursday Two Questions. My questions are:

1. Do you think it should be lawful to mandate that drivers have insurance? I wonder if we did not mandate insurance who would pay the liability from accidents.

2. Does your particular locale have a policy which you find puzzling, such as our city advising that we have to first advise of the pothole before claiming damages?

Thanks so much for your visit. Take care and God bless. Hey, it's Thursday and the weekend is almost here!

photo source

Lui February 24, 2011 at 12:14 AM

That was hilarious Judy!
I agree that a policy requiring citizens to report possible sources of incidents before it happens is ludicrous!

I doubt if there are insurance companies who will pay liability for road mishaps like that. For there are potholes here everywhere and it is highly stressful to drive around the city which is why I don't drive anymore! ;-)

Cathy Kennedy February 24, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Like all things which are mandated usually, I do not agree with. Making someone or saying it's the law to have auto insurance is one of those things. Is this really about promoting big insurance companies toward further riches or about protecting the auto driver? I don't know. I believe all responsible parites will elect to have auto insurance, if nothing more than for liability coverage. What ticks me off is, if an uninsured individual hits you. Your car gets damaged and then it's your insurance company who picks up the tab, if you can't afford to pay for the repair. But, then your premium shoots up because someone hit you. It wasn't even your fault and you get pinched twice. OUCH!

Gee, I had never heard of such a thing before where you have to advice the city you have a pothole, etc. I mean, isn't it the city's job to check these things out? Of course, if there was a pothole I was concerned about or anything else for that matter, then yeah, I'd be on the phone saying, "Hey this is a problem! Come fix it!" What do you do if you accidentally fall into one of these so-called reportable potholes, which is an unknown pothole to you, before you have a chance to report it? This is just too crazy for me to wrap my brain around this morning. LOL.

Visit my blog to play my Thursday 2Q!

~Cathy Kennedy, Children's Author
The Tale of Ole Green Eyes

Self Sagacity February 24, 2011 at 5:24 PM

I have always thought it is a law here to have insurance. I think even with insurance coverage, I often have people offer to pay me cash- what the damage is worth to them- which is nothing compare to what it really costs to repair. So laws are good, because people can be greedy and not trust worthy. They would say anything to get by at the moment but are tempted to not brush you away or not live up to their promises.
So glad for insurance and laws.

Self Sagacity February 24, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Oops second answer: I am sure many, although I am deep into writing right now and not into laws...There are examples of people interpreting the laws that do not know the law well enough that puzzles me. Also the small claims court in our county sure do not know how to word their policies - long story!

SquirrelQueen February 24, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Hmm, that is a very strange policy. The pothole may not have been there thirty days before. If it had think of all the damaged vehicles.

I do think we should require all drivers to have insurance. My thoughts are the same as yours Judy, if not who would pay for the damages.

I don't know of any such policies but there probably are some.

♥-Icy BC-♥ February 25, 2011 at 8:28 AM

1) I'm one that torn between mandate insurance law, and not having it. I think both has its good and bad.

2) I don't know of any puzzling policy in my city..Better look into it!

Rachel February 25, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I'm torn too! My vehicle was totaled by a hit-and-run driver and I sure wish she had insurance.

But like the whole health insurance thing - I don't think it's neccessarily constitutional to mandate that citizens have to purchase something.

And weird laws? I don't know... but that's a funny one!q

DoanLegacy February 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Every six months I called around to see which company offers me lower rate, and I think having mandatory law is good!

I haven't notice any particular law regarding it.

JamericanSpice February 25, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Yes I think it should be mandatory that drivers have insurance. It's not only for payiing when they are wrong, but also to protect their family and themselves.

2. I"m honestly not sure about my city's policy, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had some silly loop like this to not pay if there is damage done.

Enjoy your weekend.

JamericanSpice February 26, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I'm wondering if I commented on this already.

I thought I did.