Thankful Thursday - Healing

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Our president gave a stirring and emotional tribute/memorial tonight.  I want to highlight some of the thoughts for you:

Quotes from the night:

• Our hearts are broken but our spirit is not.
  • Gabby opened her eyes for the first time
  • If Gabby opened her eyes maybe we can too - Rev. C Welton Gaddy
  • Question one's ideas without questioning one's love for their country
  • Talk to people in a way that heals and not wounds
  • We will be known not by our status, wealth or fame but how we loved
  • The forces that divide us are not as strong as those that unite us
  • Let us create an America  as good as our children imagine
  • Let our country live up to our children's expectations
  • With a democracy as good as Christina (Taylor Green) imagined it.
  • "We are so blessed. We have the best life" Christina
If I have a word or two off here or there please forgive me. Most of these quotes were made by our president, President Obama. I was caught up in the inspiring speech and hated to tear my eyes from the screen. President Obama and many of the heroes, religious and political leaders there spoke to hearty applause and standing ovations. A plea was made  for a good dose of humility and civility in our discourse, one to make our victims proud. We need to live up to their example. They died bravely, serving and loving our country.

My good friend, Icy has this on her blog:

May you have the commitment to heal what has hurt you, to allow it to come close to you, and in the end, become one with you.**** A Gaelic Blessing. Such wise words, Icy. Thank you for sharing them with us!

My two questions:

1) What is your hope for this country?
2) What part can we as individuals play to make that hope come alive?

Please pray for the healing of the families of our victims and our nation.

If you have the time please join us in  Two Questions Thursday. This is such a great way to get to know one another. THIS Take care and God bless! photo source

Self Sagacity January 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM

1) At one time we were prosperous, and still are in many ways, but I would hope the economy turns around and provide people with jobs. It is terrible to have people accustomed to not working. Creating laziness. Speaking to some percentage of folks that are capable yet, chose not to work.
2) We can vote and help out in the community, a (bit from each us) of volunteering goes a long way.

I don't like talking politics or religion. I think people sometimes take it the wrong way - even though the truth is the truth.
Have a good one Judy. Thanks for joining us this week.

Lui January 13, 2011 at 4:10 PM

That was a powerful message Judy! Although one of my mantras (affirmations)for team building is "the forces that divide us are not as strong as those that UNITE us"...

My hope for America and all the countries pf the world is unity amidst diversity. I pray that our respect and love will surmount whatever difficulties we are all experiencing in our lives.

Individuals collectively make a community so I think all of us should have a paradigm shift that allows us to create a wider view to appreciate opinions, ideas, principles and beliefs.

Margaret Duarte January 13, 2011 at 8:12 PM

1. That we can quit fighting like kids in a schoolyard and unit for the better of our country and the worthy people--all of them--in it.

2. Top bickering in our own homes. Smile at strangers. Open our hearts. Not listen to or condone TV or radio stations that incite hate.

Judy Sheldon-Walker January 13, 2011 at 9:34 PM

I try to avoid talking too much about politics but don't feel that this is about politics but one another.

You know me, I don't shy away from talking about God. He resonates in my soul and heart!

When I came back to thank you all for your input and valued comments I found several typos. Sorry, I flunked multi tasking last night. :-)

Take care and God bless!

JamericanSpice January 13, 2011 at 10:47 PM

My hope is that we kick fear out and let our hearts love, so we can care for one another , starting with our neighbors.

2. We can start with ourselves in reaching out.

SquirrelQueen January 14, 2011 at 5:03 AM

I would like to see the name calling and finger pointing come to an end. Why can't the people we elected to serve us work together for the good of our country for a change.

I'm going to copy Margaret's #2 answer, she covered all the bases on this one.

DoanLegacy January 14, 2011 at 11:11 AM

This tragedy repeats itself every few months, and the only thing we can do is to unite together in prayer, kindness, and support..

I have been following this news everyday, praying for the congresswoman!

***Icy BC January 15, 2011 at 11:06 AM

This is so senseless, and it's becoming a trademark for our country. The random shooting and killing are just too eerie to contemplate..

I'm at a loss at this time!

Anne Lyken-Garner January 17, 2011 at 6:31 AM

Very encouraging words, Judy. I was told yesterday that one of our brethren was also killed in the shooting. He threw himself in front of his wife to protect her.
Such a senseless loss of life. As I'm not American, I can't answer your questions, but I hope it's a healing time.

CHAN LEE PENG January 25, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Powerful message, sis! It will be healed just a matter of time.