Thankful Thursday - heat

Thursday, December 2, 2010

photo source

After working all day I helped baby boy move then he and I headed out to Best Buy to look at computers. All the while my nose was running. Was it from the cold or am I coming down with a cold? I don't know, but am tired and cold, more so than usual and started wondering about furnaces. If I am cold with a furnace, can you imagine what our great grandparents dealt with?

We keep our thermostat on around 60 because of the gas bill, but when I was growing up Dad would chop wood and my sister and I would tote it down to the basement and feed one of those old time wood furnaces. Our home did not have a thermostat and the furnace wasn't much to speak of either. It never quite took the chill out of the air. Does it make you wonder when man invented the furnace?

Supposedly the stove was invented in 1490. I read at wiki answers the question: "Who invented the first stove in 1490?" Someone answered Benjamin Franklin. Someone else answered back "Sorry, but that that has to be impossible because Benjamin Franklin was born in the 1700's.."

You know, maybe we don't know everything, but I think we are pretty darned smart and could come up with something better than that.

My first questions is who invented the stove in 1490? Move over Wiki.answers.com, we have some pretty smart bloggers here. We just might be able to give you an answer. :-)

My second question is when was the first furnace invented? I truly am glad the stove and furnace were invented and I also think the thermostat was a pretty terrific invention too. Join in the fun at Thursday's two questions. We are here to learn and share what we learn. Take care and God bless.

Blessing Reflections

Self Sagacity December 2, 2010 at 1:40 AM

Holly cow! My deacon said I can say that, BTW- that it isn't against god rules or anything.
On to your questions or not...I don't know the answers Judy. I would have to look that up. So I will be back to check if others have the answers.

Luna Miranda December 2, 2010 at 4:38 AM

very interesting questions, Judy. in Encyclopedia Britannica, the first historical record of a brick stove was built in 1490 in Alsace, France. no mention of who invented it. i checked the listing of French inventors but there are too many of them.:p

You can also check "Hypocaust"--an ancient Roman system of central heating used for heating public baths. The invention was credited to Sergius Orata but it's not fully confirmed. constructed and used around 25 BC.

From Wikipedia, the earliest furnace was excavated at Balakot (in Pakistan), dating back to its mature phase (c. 2500-1900 BC). The furnace was most likely used for the manufacturing of ceramic objects.

Anne Lyken-Garner December 2, 2010 at 5:31 AM

I can't answer your questions, Judy. There's one thing I can answer though. I'm VERY glad someone invented central heating. I can't deal with wood burning stoves and log fires. I just couldn't.

Cathy Kennedy December 2, 2010 at 9:50 AM

According to answerbag.com, in China, an unknown inventor fashioned the first blast furnace sometime during the first century. Abraham Darby created the first modern blast furnace in 1709, which used coke made from distilling coal instead of charcoal. In 1839, David Thomas made the first blast furnace that used anthracite coal as fuel. And according to ideafinder.com Benjamin Franklin was the one who invented the cast-iron stove in 1742, which many of us are familiar with.

Mind you none of this comes from my own intellect. Thankfully, the age of the Internet makes gleaning information through cyberspace an easy feat giving ordinary people like mysefl the facade of a genius. =D

Yes the thermostat is a cool invention, too.

DoanLegacy December 2, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Sorry Judy, no answers for both questions! Pressing for time at the moment but I do thankful for furnace to keep me warm.

Margaret Duarte December 2, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I left a previous comment, but it didn't seem to go through. Hope it did. I didn't know the answers to your two questions, but I greatly appreciate the inventors as I sit here in my heated home.

SquirrelQueen December 2, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Tough questions this week Judy.

I would imagine it is impossible to determine who made the first stove as they were usually made of brick. According to inventors.about.com the first cast iron ovens to be made in quantity were made around 1728. They were of German design and called Five-plate or Jamb stoves.

Also from the same source, and this is really interesting, a woman named Alice Parker in 1919 invented a new and improved heating furnace that provided central heat. Way to go Alice!
You can see her design here:

Self Sagacity December 3, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Wow, see...many have the answers! Sometimes I feel like a genius too, like Cathy said, the internet has made looking answers up so easy. No need for the library run either. Hope you are doing well.

CHAN LEE PENG December 9, 2010 at 4:21 AM

Well, this was interesting but I was not so genius to tell you the answer.