Something Wonderfully Unexpected Happened at the Funeral!

Saturday, September 4, 2010

What is a funeral but a celebration of a loved one's homecoming for our time here is not our own but borrowed from God? Even with this knowledge there were many tears, hugs, shared memories, more hugs and even laughter. My mother in law would not want weeping nor sadness. She would have been 89 on Sept 16. She lived her life loving and serving the Lord until the last seven years when she became bedridden. It saddened my husband as he knew her as a woman who was always busy about the Lord's work, visiting the sick and shut in, feeding his flock, tending the children, serving in her church.

My step daughters unlocked my tears that had been held at bay with their warm thoughts and reflections in words and in poetry, but my husband unleashed them. I was struggling for composure with one tiny Kleenex when he turned my tears of sorrow to tears of joy. My sorrow was shared with the family that had lost a vibrant family figure, not for Mother Walker, as her journey was ended and her reward in sight. I was struck by the pain of the loss as member after member told of her selfless acts.

My husband's face crumbled as he cited the Lord's prayer interspersed with quotes from his mother, and as he did so he promised his mother he would return to the church.  He confessed to a church packed with family and friends that he has not practiced his faith but that his mother's example has called him back to church and he made a tearful promise to her to resume attending and worship. (He has gone to church once with me in the over 12 years we have been together.)

Tears streamed down our faces as we applauded his conviction. There seemed to be a new bounce to his step as he headed back to our pew and we hugged. Family members lined up to hug and congratulate him.

Later he and the the other three siblings were handed a lily in remembrance of his mother and each person attending was asked to hug four people and tell them they loved them.

Have you hugged your loved ones lately and told them you loved them? Not a bad idea, huh?

This post is linked to a grateful heart and weekend reflections. Have a blessed weekend! I have!

Carletta September 4, 2010 at 1:49 AM

A lovely subtle reflection but such a loving heartwarming story.
So sorry for your loss.
Blessings to you all.

CHAN LEE PENG September 4, 2010 at 3:34 AM

such a good event to happen during this moment. May God bless u sis and your family.

BlossomFlowerGirl September 4, 2010 at 4:17 AM

A nice, gentle reflection. I am sorry for your loss, it is always a difficult time when we lose someone we love.
May you find the graces necessary to help you all through this sad time.

James September 4, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Beautiful both the reflections and the words. The Lord is so good!

DoanLegacy September 4, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Wonderful and inspiring post! I'm glad your husband finding his way back to the church!

Judy Sheldon-Walker September 4, 2010 at 4:33 PM

I am truly moved and touched by your warm words and still floating on a cloud from my husband's commitment made yesterday.

Thanks and God bless!

LV September 4, 2010 at 5:57 PM

How wonderful it would be if we all could accept death in that manner. I have a hard time with it as I love life and my family. In a way, guess I am selfish for feeling that way. May you and family have many blessings.

ruthi September 4, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Oh Judy... I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out with you and your family. Losing a loved one is really tough but their memories will always keep us strong. Keep the faith.

Judy Sheldon-Walker September 4, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Ruthi, thanks so much for your warm thoughts and wishes. They are much appreciated.

Take care & God bless!

michael September 4, 2010 at 11:00 PM

That is a heartwarming story. I'm glad that you see the good in this hard time.

Rachel September 6, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Oh what a blessing! What a wonderful way for God to be glorified in the midst of loss.

Self Sagacity September 7, 2010 at 4:11 AM

My thoughts are with you... Your beautiful post is so very heartfelt.

SquirrelQueen September 10, 2010 at 5:37 PM

So sorry for your family's loss but it sounds like good moments came along with the tears of mourning. The reflection on the pond is softly beautiful.