Ruby Tuesday - Blanket Flowers

Monday, September 13, 2010

For an ever better close up of these wonderful blanket flowers and a brief history let your fingers take you to visit Squirrel Queen. I didn't see her post until I had already taken my pictures, and hers has a bonus - there is a visitor. :-)
Icy, BC has captured some really nice pictures of our blanket flowers too. Both Icy and Judy (Squirrel Queen) have the patience to capture and feature the many stages of a flower. Lucky me, I found them side by side so was able to capture all my photos (and all the stages) at once and I love all the stages of the blanket flower!

I first took photos over a month ago in  a vacant lot two blocks from me. I took lots of wild flowers that day, but when I returned the following day for a closer inspection found the lot mowed down and returned home disappointed and empty handed.

However last week I was rewarded with the cheerful blanket flower which had come back up and was blooming quite cheerfully for all to see, standing above the wild flowers and weeds! Join us and enjoy our Ruby Tuesday at

Icy BC September 14, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Ooh, ooh, aah, aah were all I can say Judy! These are lovely flowers, aren't they?

You're too kind to mention my blog, sis..Thanks..

Linda September 14, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I have those same flowers in my yard and they come back year after year...I love them. You said the mums would not come back for you? I bought some yellow ones a couple years ago to put out on the front porch as a decoration for Fall...I planted them in a pot. When they started to fade I stuck them ...in the pot...in the back yard where I knew they would be watered. They are diong so well now, I had to moce them to a bigger pot and they are back on the front porch again for Fall decor once again!

Judy Sheldon-Walker September 14, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Icy, I am doing a favor for the reader! Your blogs are enchanting and they will love them!

Linda, you probably (no probably about it) have a much better green thumb than I! I am so glad yours came back for you. There were some gorgeous ones planted outside the Kroger gas station last year and I've been watching for them but they never came back, so I thought they just don't... Now I feel silly for passing them up. lol

ruthi September 14, 2010 at 7:50 PM

i am so jealous... i think i am the only one who didn't have a chance to take photo of the blanket flower. i want one too. those are really gorgeous.

Self Sagacity September 15, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Yes, I figured that would be another style to post pictures too. I remember seeing these flowers on Icy's and Judy's blogs, you guys must live in the same region...:-)

SquirrelQueen September 16, 2010 at 5:16 AM

Beautiful, beautiful and more beautiful. Great shots Judy, I really like the fourth one down with just a bit of a petal still hanging on.

Thanks for the mention. Mine are in my yard so I can take lots of photos. I had the same thing happen to me with a vacant lot one time.

Shhh, don't tell anyone but my series of photos were all taken on the same day of one plant. I don't have that much patience, LOL!