Are Your Utility Bills Rising?

Saturday, September 25, 2010

For a few years now I have been in pursuit of the glorious red setting sun, but this morning, when I pulled into the parking lot of my job, I was stunned by this glorious orange sky with a rising yellow sun. God is like that, He gives us His idea of beauty, not ours. :-)

Notice the electrical wires and telephone wires. While they are not particularly pretty, they are mainstays in our lives unless we live on a deserted island where there are no modern conveniences. How can we enjoy modern conveniences without getting socked with utilities bills as large as our mortgage?

In the article Cutting Costs on Electricity helpful hints are provided re bringing your bills down without sacrificing comfort. This article will evaluate energy use room by room and lay out conservation tips  for each season. For example; did you know that your cell phone charger can cost you an additional $5.00 a month simply by remaining plugged in while you are not recharging your phone? Multiply this by the life of your phone and you will realize unplugging this will create a substantial savings (for this one item alone).

At EnergyGuide.com you will find a wealth of information and tools based on your zip code such as:

• energy conservation for your area
  • where to find the most efficient appliances at the best prices, including ENERGY STAR® appliances
  • rebates on those much wanted appliances
  • a free energy audit for your home and/or business
  • licensed contractors in your area that can assist you in heating and cooling projects
EnergyGuide.com is approved by the Better Business Bureau.

Thank you for visiting me today. I hope this article is beneficial to you.

I have a chart of typical operating costs for major appliances, so if you are curious about something, let me know. For example; a chest freezer - automatic defrost 10 - 20 cubic foot, 115-190 kwh/mo. will run from $10.32 to $17.04 a month. I have over a dozen items listed from dehumidifiers to clothes dryers.

SquirrelQueen September 25, 2010 at 5:40 AM

Wow, that is a beautiful sunrise. The golden orange is breathtaking.

Great tips for saving on electricity. Most of those I already do.

Joanne September 25, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Sometimes it's those little things, like that charger, that really add up. We're pretty conscious of our energy use, but still, I've seen an increase in the utility rates prompting even further economy.

Icy BC September 27, 2010 at 8:18 AM

I've tried to cut costs in so many ways, and these are great tips!

Gorgeous picture, Judy!

Anne Lyken-Garner September 27, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Great info, Judy. I listed some of these in my money book. You're right about the phone charger. It's amazing how much we can save with a little common sense.
Lovely picture.

Rachel September 28, 2010 at 1:58 AM

So interesting how those little things add up! I've always been the one who shuts off the lights and unplugs things - glad to know it helps!

Self Sagacity September 29, 2010 at 3:18 AM

Thanks for the reminder, my SO and I watch our energy bill quite often. We tried to follow all the advice and have cut down our bill some. There is more work to do though, if we can get the solar going that would be a HUGE saving, but the expense of getting it is not.

ruthi September 30, 2010 at 11:16 PM

i am like you... whenever i drive to work in the morning... i am always on the look out of the rising sun. good thing i always have a camera in my car and had a chance to take some photos. but since it's already fall... my sunrise is kinda too dark.