A is for Apple

Monday, August 9, 2010

Red berries against the blue This weekend I was enjoying watching the sky fill with golden and pink streaks as the sun began to set. What made it even better is that I was talking to my dear friend Icy and catching up on news. I love when I get a chance to touch base with her. Such a perfect ending to a beautiful day. My picture, on the other hand, is not perfect, but I like it, so I saved it.

Ive's Tues
:-) I told you I like the picture! I took more pictures of fruit and vegetables at Ives Country Markets and want to share some good information with you about apples. This is just a fraction of the information found in the article Apples: The Wonder Fruit.  You can find over a dozen reasons to eat apples daily there.
I’ll share just a few:

• Apples contain Quercitin which has been isolated and sold in health food stores because of its amazing abilities.
  • It is a powerful anti-histamine,
  • Anti-inflammatory,
  • A wonderful diet aid,
  • Is also quite useful in relieving allergies and asthma.
  • A daily apple a day is thought to reduce the risk of lung cancer by half!
If you ate your apple today you get an A!

Now grab a juicy red apple and join us for Ruby Tuesday. Have a blessed week.

Carletta August 9, 2010 at 11:31 PM

Yum! Delicious looking pics!

reg August 10, 2010 at 12:03 AM

I am such a huge fan of Apples. these are looking great. The one pic looks like peaches which happen to be a favourite of mine

ruthi August 10, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Oh I am looking forward to Apple picking season here in Maine. I love apples too. It is my lunch-saver when I am too lazy to make lunch for myself. Thanks for the info on the apples too.

Icy BC August 10, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I love apples too, my favorites are Fuji, and Johnathan, I think that are what they called..

Sorry Judy, your picture turned out blurry because you were busy talking to me :-)

Judy Sheldon-Walker August 10, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Ruthi, enjoy those apples! They are so good for you.

Icy, I love the picture. It makes me think of a design for fabric. It was the sky I was taking and the tree was actually dark until the camera flashed then I saw the choke cherries (?). I will always remember how I was talking to you and in awe of the sky. You both make me feel younger. :-) Take care & God bless!

Anne Lyken-Garner August 12, 2010 at 3:42 AM

Great fruity picture with some helpful information to boot! Makes me glad I give my kids apples regularly. My oldest won't eat them though, which is a pity.

Self Sagacity August 13, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Thanks for the notes on apple's benefits. Good to keep in mind the list. Your mosaic is yummy.

Judy Sheldon-Walker August 13, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Anne, I'm glad you give your children apples. They come in so many varieties your oldest should be able to find one they would like. For example I don't like Washington because they are softer and sweeter. I like a tarter apple like a Macintosh. Those are crunchy too. Yum! Braeburns have properties in them to protect us from harmful UV rays.

Thanks, Amanda. You are welcome.

SquirrelQueen August 13, 2010 at 9:02 PM

I love apples and always look forward to the local fall crop. My absolute favorite is the Honey Crisp. I see from your comments Judy that you prefer the tart apples but if you ever feel like a sweeter apple try the Honey Crisp.

Judy Sheldon-Walker August 13, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Judy, I can't recall seeing those sold locally. In the fall we have a larger selection so I will have to look.