Conserving Water with a Rain Barrel

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My grandmother used a rain barrel and probably lots of others did too. She would dip water from it to wash her hair and use water for the garden. Bet Grandma's would love this rain barrel! It has a mosquito netting over the top and even a spigot for easy access. Her's  never looked like this!

I couldn't resist snapping a picture. St. Vincent's DE Paul uses this one to water their garden.

I was reminded of Grandma's barrel after reading a post done by Amanda at Selfsagacity. As children, when we washed our hair it was not by holding our heads under the sink and pouring water on them but by dipping from  a basin of rain water. We would dip a cupful or two out of it and wet our hair. Then we would suds it up, and use a fresh cup of water (or two) to pour over our heads. Sometimes we added a little vinegar to help remove the soap residue. (Because it was soft rainwater it would suds up with less soap and give us a richer lather.)  The dish pan we used to wash our hair over would then be poured out into Grandma's vegetable garden. Maybe we should adopt some of the ways  our grandparents knew.

Your visits are always welcome. Please click on the following links to view the hosts and join us for: Outdoor Wednesday, and Watery Wednesday.

I will be around to visit all of you shortly and am so glad you were kind enough to stop by. I have to take time off to visit family who are here from out of state for my mother in-law's funeral. Enjoy the rest of your week and God bless!

chubskulit August 31, 2010 at 11:13 PM

You seldom see that anymore. We used that a lot in the Philippines.

Luna Miranda August 31, 2010 at 11:15 PM

my grandmother also saved water when it rained but the container was not as lovely as this one. my grandma used to tell us that rain water makes hair softer.:p

Light and Voices September 1, 2010 at 12:37 AM

I have a rain barrel to catch water in. Wish I had had it years ago.

Your rain barrel picture is very elaborate. Mine is just green. Oh well.
Joyce M

Self Sagacity September 1, 2010 at 1:55 AM

Hi Miss Judy, thanks for the mention, that is really sweet of you. {not sure if you notice, but the Self is missing :-) it's all good though - no worries} My mother used to tell us that the rain water helps keep her black hair from fading, and brings it shine. All natural women she is.

Ebie September 1, 2010 at 2:14 AM

I remember growing up in the Philippines, saving the rain water for a lot of purposes.

Nice and pretty barrel.

Becky K. September 1, 2010 at 7:03 AM

I am sorry for your family's loss.

I love that rain barrel. So decorative and functional!

Becky K.
Hospitality Lane

LV September 1, 2010 at 10:47 AM

It is suggested e use rain barrels again. However, the ones available certainly do not look like this one. I think yours is neat.

Elaine September 1, 2010 at 1:11 PM

As a child I reemember the rain barrow sitting at the corner of the house.. We to whed our hair from it..Thanks for bringing back an old memory.
sorry for your loss. Blessings to your family.
Elaine

new follower

Gardening in a Sandbox September 1, 2010 at 4:57 PM

I have two rainbarrels that we use to water new plants in the garde. Neither of them are as pretty as that one.

Linda September 1, 2010 at 5:44 PM

We always used vinegar in our hair too...I love that rain barrel...very cute.

Sorry to hear about your loss...take care.

msdewberry September 1, 2010 at 7:16 PM

I see quite a few rain barrels at the Community Gardens where I visit to take photos.
This one is fancy!!

SquirrelQueen September 1, 2010 at 7:37 PM

My grandmother had a rain barrel but it didn't look as nice as this one.

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law's passing.

Mumsy September 3, 2010 at 7:59 AM

I still collect rain water when I can..I like the fresh feel of it..

ruthi September 4, 2010 at 9:10 PM

hmmmm. i have never tried to wash my hair with rain water yet. we used to collect rain water back home too and when we were little we used to play in the rain especially during the month of May because it is called "Aqua de Mayo". May is summer in the Philippines and it is so nice to play in pouring rain while it is sunny at the same time.

Judy Sheldon-Walker September 4, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Ruthi, as children we loved playing in summer rain.