Beware the Needle

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

GEDC9951    GEDC9949 GEDC9956 GEDC9958
The glittery metallic color of their wings, the quick flutter, some stacked two high. I was in awe of their beauty and it was totally unexpected. Usually my encounters with dragon flies have been very fleeting, so for them to actually hang around the river bed where I stood taking pictures was a pleasant surprise.  How many can you spot? Look closely they are very slim.

For more pictures taken outdoors please visit a Southern Dreamer and enjoy!

Icy BC July 7, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Damselfly is hard to capture, but you did it, and what a pretty one too!!

Judy Sheldon-Walker July 7, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Icy, if not for you and Mumsy I would have never heard of a damsel fly. It is such a pretty name and now I am researching. lol They are in the same family as a dragon fly; the order Odonata. Do you know that Triond declined my last article citing errors in readability because of the spell check issues with the scientific terminology? Can you imagine if I write about this? :-) It was the hibiscus/Rose of Sharon which they published finally.

Thanks and God bless!

Doro July 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM

At least five in that first picture, three on the one leaf. They are very slim! Without your text, I wouldn't have noticed even one.

Judy Sheldon-Walker July 7, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Doro, I'm glad you spotted them. I had been oblivious to them at first.
Thanks for the visit.

Joanne July 7, 2010 at 10:00 PM

There is something so "summer" about them, and so quietly peaceful. How beautiful to be tuned in to them here ...

CHAN LEE PENG July 8, 2010 at 10:40 PM

I can spot many lol..sis,...haha..:-)

Self Sagacity July 9, 2010 at 12:32 AM

At first I was trying to see where the special effects was. LOL. Looked for the needles until I realized that you were referring to the damselfly. Fun trick...:-)

Judy Sheldon-Walker July 9, 2010 at 7:16 AM

Chan, I'm surprised I got that many as busy as they were. :-)

Amanda, I looked them up and the book refers to them as "needles" because of their method of preying on other insects. Didn't mean to cause confusion.

Take care & God bless!

DoanLegacy July 9, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Beautiful photos, and the "needles" are an extra added bonus.

Judy Sheldon-Walker July 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM

D.L., thanks for the visit. Take care & God bless.

ruthi July 10, 2010 at 9:31 PM

good job Judy... those little guys are very evasive. but i was able to capture them in my cam too the other day... just don't have the time to post yet.

Judy Sheldon-Walker July 10, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Ruthi, I'm looking forward to seeing yours. Thanks for your visit.

SquirrelQueen July 11, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Oh wow, you captured lots of the little damsels in your shots. I have had dragonflies all over my yard lately but they have stayed just out of camera range so far.

♥♥ tuğçe♥♥ July 11, 2010 at 8:44 AM

amazing photos
missed a lot have a great day