Thankful Thursday ~ God’s Presence

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

GEDC9549
The day I graduated from high school I turned down a scholarship for art. My father advised me that now that I graduated his obligation was fulfilled so I needed to make my own way. Mother took me to an army recruiting office and I filled out the necessary paperwork, took the exam and the physical and left home.

When I was released from the military, I was in New York. What a culture shock for a small town girl like me. I craved the trees and wild flowers that I had loved. We took weekly walks to the Bronx Zoo. ..

Now I live in a small town in Michigan and know every place within walking distance where a flower grows. I am surrounded by nature and would have it no other way. While city noises jangle the nerves from time to time, nature calmly restores the peace.

GEDC9554

There was something magical about the day
The bluest skies and a sun to show the way
Wouldn’t matter what anyone had to say
I could lose myself watching clouds all day

An angry voice in the distance raised
A woman yelling back half crazed
That’s the problem with a city life
Inter-meshed with other’s strife

But gazing skyward what do I see?
A bit of peace and tranquility
The turmoil that we feel
Suddenly becomes less real

While I sympathize
And truly realize
The pain of marital discord
I am blessed with the presence of the Lord.

Oh if they would take a moment to see
The Lord who loves both you and me
He shines in the clouds and in the sun
And has enough love for everyone

Nature by God ~ Poetry by Judy Sheldon-Walker

Gd bless!

Joanne July 1, 2010 at 8:36 AM

A moving story, Judy. I'm curious as to what type of art you were going to pursue after high school. And is it in your life in any way today?

Enjoy those summer flowers!

Judy Sheldon-Walker July 1, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Joanne, as a teen I practiced calligraphy and sign painting. We experienced a variety of art forms in high school and my high school teacher was very encouraging advising that I had promise in the arts and she could line up an art scholarship for me.

My army recruiter gave me a promise for photo journalism. I took the 10 week course in Indianapolis and was thrilled when I got to draw a picture of the Verrazano Narrows for a general to use in a presentation while stationed in Ft. Hamilton, Brooklyn. I published a short article in NY Daily News, but this was short lived. In the military positions are changed at the drop of a hat and once out of the military parenting took center stage. I continued with the calligraphy doing free lance jobs here and there while working clerical full time to support my children.

Your interest is appreciated. I am encouraging my children and grand children to pursue their dreams.

Take care & God bless.

Icy BC July 1, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Judy, this is beautiful, your poem, your photos, and your words are such an inspiring thought for me in my tiresome mind..

Just wonderful..

Judy Sheldon-Walker July 1, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Icy, I wish you only the best. You truly deserve it. There is rest in God. I pray for you that you and yours do well and that you find comfort and joy in His love.

Anne Lyken-Garner July 2, 2010 at 7:53 AM

As always, Judy, this is a splendidly written poem. It's so calming and peaceful. Thanks for the breath of fresh air.

SquirrelQueen July 2, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Our school days are filled with promise and dreams and it is sad when those dreams get put on hold. I have discovered that sometimes the dream will creep back into our lives in ways we least suspect. Always hold onto the dream.

Your poem is beautiful Judy.

Judy Sheldon-Walker July 2, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Anne & Judy, your visits and encouragement are appreciated.

Take care & God bless.

Self Sagacity July 9, 2010 at 12:34 AM

why did you choose the military instead of art? will we be able to read the next chapter? of the reasons? ;-)

Judy Sheldon-Walker July 9, 2010 at 7:22 AM

Amanda, the art college was in Grand Rapids. My father told me I had to leave and I had no place to live. Mom decided I should join the army so she took me into the recruitment center. She never argued with Dad, but later she said she wished she had. I'm sure it all worked out for the best as God's hand is in everything.