Happy Memorial Day

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Some of you are not old enough to remember when the original Memorial day was celebrated on May 30th regardless of what day of week it fell on. I am. You see my oldest daughter Aimee` chose that day to make her entry into the world. That year it was still a holiday.

Aimee 001 To read more about my special girl you can read last years birthday blog written especially for her.  I have to apologize for the quality of the photograph. It was taken over 30 years ago when we lived in the south Bronx. It has withstood many moves and much handling, as my children and grandchildren are very fond of handling the old photos I have stored away. Aimee` is still very shy and would not let me take a new one. I could have posted one with her hands in her face, because that was all I could get and to top that off, she turned the lights down low! :-)

It is such an honor for me to have had her on such a special day. She was due 28 days earlier, but she has always been one to hold out for something more special or unique, never ordinary. When I got in from the country I drove to her home where the siblings and various other relatives and friends had assembled. They were playing cards and cooking out. The house rung with laughter. As we laugh and celebrate with family and friends, let us pause to reflect on the sacrifices that have been made for us that we may enjoy life more fully. I created this collage and found this message I would like to share with you:

Memorial day

It is the
VETERAN,
not the preacher,
who has given us freedom of religion.
It is
the VETERAN,
not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.
It is
the VETERAN,
not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.
It is
the VETERAN,
not the campus organizer,
who has given us freedom to assemble.
It is
the VETERAN,
not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is
the VETERAN,
not the politician,
Who has given us the right to vote.
It is the
REST GRANT THEM Oh LORD,
AND LET PERPETUAL LIGHT SHINE UPON
THEM.

Anonymous

Icy BC May 30, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Happy birthday Aimee`!

And a great poem, Judy. You're on a roll..

Judy Sheldon-Walker May 30, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Icy, thanks for your visit and your support. I truly hope you are able to enjoy your week end.

Love and God bless!

DoanLegacy May 31, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Happy birthday to your daughter, and wishing her many more to come.

Rachel May 31, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Happiest birthday to your darling girl! I love that photo - her sweetness comes through her eyes and smile!

Ruthi May 31, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Memorial Day is all new to me because we don't have that in the Philippines. But we have different celebration similar to this. I love the message about the Veterans... those are all true. Thanks for sharing.

Judy Sheldon-Walker May 31, 2010 at 10:09 PM

DL, and Rachel, thanks so much for your visits and birthday wishes for my daughter. I will certainly pass them on.

Take care & God bless!

Judy Sheldon-Walker May 31, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Ruthi, I hope you will share your celebration with us. I love learning about other cultures. It makes us closer and more like one big family.
:-)

Self Sagacity June 1, 2010 at 10:53 AM

That's a very sweet post Judy. I just learned something new about you today.

Judy Sheldon-Walker June 1, 2010 at 6:35 PM

S.S., you truly have me curious.

SquirrelQueen June 2, 2010 at 6:58 PM

A belated Happy Birthday to Aimee!

I vaguely remember when it was celebrated on the 30th but I have to admit I do like the Monday holidays.

Love the poem and photos. Hope you had a lovely Memorial Day Judy. My hubby took a few extra days off from work and we just hung out around the house. I will be posting again soon.