How do you feel about a "White Pride" March?

Sunday, March 21, 2010

It caused a little bit of trepidation in our household. We have a mixture of ethnic backgrounds, white being just one of them. We love our blended family and do not believe that one is superior to another.  Even if I was not blessed with a multi-cultural family, I can see no reason to elevate one race over another. When I heard the march was scheduled to take place near us I wanted to know all about it. When, where, who, and particularly why? Why would one person feel the need to organize a march?

Yesterday I wrote a poem and published it on Triond entitled  The Master Painter.

Do you believe a God

Who paints the sky in many hues

Would make man to be just one?

The many colored paints our God uses

Vary like the sun

From the brightest white;

A shimmering light

To fiery burning red

Our God enjoys colors

Look at the leaves our trees have shed

Look at the brilliantly colored feathers

In birds on land and sky

Why shouldn’t God use color

When he paints both you and I?

photos and poem by me – Nature by God

Our pastor, Jeremy, pictured on my side bar had heard the news also and postponed his scheduled sermon to address the issue with our church. He admonished us to remember that we are to first reconcile ourselves with God then with one another. A Christian's duty is to serve one another, which requires humility not pride. It made me think of that Sunday School song I learned as a child "J-O-Y, J-O-Y, this is what it means; Jesus first, yourself last and others in between..." To hear Jeremy's message simply click on his name and it will take you to his web page.

I heard the march had met with so many protesters (predominantly white) the police had asked them to end it early for safety reasons.

It is sad that racial issues can continue to create hurt, anger, and cause confusion. In Bible days it was Jews and Gentiles, today it has branched out to include many races. The controversy is swirling around the event. I left my comment there and went back recently to see if the organizer had responded. There are many responses there written in a variety of tones from self righteous and angry to understanding and condoning. They can be found at mlive.com.

My comment was: While one has the right to participate in activities to show their "pride" I have to wonder about the correctness of it. Let me explain because I do not mean this as an attack. I'm blond. Should I have a meeting to extol the virtues of being blond and be affronted by all the blond jokes and attacks on our fair sex? I had not one thing to do with my creation. It is God's doing and to Him all honor should be given. I have no right to take pride in His workmanship. It is up to me to use the vessel He created and to glorify Him, not myself. I do not argue black/white/red/ or yellow. When we focus on our creator all those things become of small importance. Not that we are not created beautifully and are not awesomely made, but if our deeds are not righteous, does it matter?

Self Sagacity March 21, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Hi Judy! I come from a multi-racial family as well. WE all joke about one another race, but never do we feel one is better than the other...though...certain race is more privilege in this country and that's a living truth.

Judy Sheldon-Walker March 21, 2010 at 11:46 PM

We joke too but it is all good natured. This march caused tension in our town and we worry about the ripple effects. I've seen racists in action and it is not pretty. Things can turn violent quickly. I have had my son hit by a hit and run driver while riding his bike home from work. The driver backed up and called him a racial slur. His bike was destroyed so he walked home bloodied and traumatized. We had no cell phones then. The driver sped off laughing.
This is only one incident. Racism is real and it is wrong!

SquirrelQueen March 22, 2010 at 3:03 AM

Judy, I grew up in the deep South. When I hear about the "White Pride" marches the first thing that comes to my mind is the Klan and similar organizations. They are narrow minded, hateful people who have no place in civilized society.

I remember a "march" years ago when I still lived in GA. The KKK had gotten a permit for a Saturday parade in the town where I lived. The town had/has a large black population. Rather than demonstrate or cause problems all the local churches opened their doors during the so called parade. The march took place on an empty street.

My friends now, and over the years, have been of many races and religions. But to me they are simply my friends.

I very much agree with the last sentence in your comment above. "Racism is real and it is wrong!"

Icy BC March 22, 2010 at 6:46 AM

I didn't think that racism protest still in practice, and I'm sorry about your son (in your comment). Life is hard and short, why can we just let people be?

Judy Sheldon-Walker March 22, 2010 at 7:31 AM

Judy & Icy, thanks so much for your visits and your support!

Have a blessed week!

Joanne March 22, 2010 at 8:35 AM

So true, in that it's our deeds that matter. Our gestures, our compassion and kindness towards others. Your lovely verse reflects this well!

Journaling Woman March 22, 2010 at 6:28 PM

First of all HOW BEAUTIFUL the poem and photos.

Secondly, I have always believed that where there is discrimination (whether it is race, gender or social class) it is because other people want to put down others in order to make themselves feel superior. I guess there is no stopping it, but it's such a waste of time to hurt and hate. So destructive.

Great post. Very thought provoking.

Judy Sheldon-Walker March 22, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Joanne, and Teresa, my heartfelt thanks for your support.

Take care & God bless!

Mumsy March 25, 2010 at 7:07 AM

I wouldn't like it at all! No race is superior over the others! Love makes the world goes around in peace..

Judy Sheldon-Walker March 25, 2010 at 7:20 AM

Mumsy, it is hard to believe someone can be loving when being prideful.

Thank you for your visit and have a blessed day!