Thankful Thursday - Communication

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Have you ever been ordered to be quiet?

As a child I was no stranger to punishment. If I misspoke I would get back handed. While getting backhanded would cause me to stop and think of ways to avoid getting slapped, I was even more upset when my parents decided to punish us by not allowing us to speak at all. Self imposed silence is one thing but when a child is ordered not to speak it is like placing a lid on a pot over boiling and expecting it to stop the overflow.

My nickname was chatterbox. Being still or quiet goes against the grain, my grain.

I am grateful (beyond grateful) for communication whether it is writing or talking. Ways to express oneself are such a gift and one I truly appreciate.

My five year old grandson called with good news.

My 5 year old grandson called me on my son, his dad's cell phone. I was at work, so I did not know until I got out of work. I saw the number across my screen and immediately called my son. Chris answers "Mom, I didn't call you." Then Kii peeps up "Whose that, Grandma Judy?" Once he found out I was on the phone he was on it immediately and talking so fast I could not make out what he said. It went something like this "Iwuzgooditschooltday".

Communicate so I can understand please.

I had to ask him to slow down. Then I heard his breathless reply. "Grandma Judy, I was good at school today!" I told him how proud I was and would give him a hug and kiss when I got to see him. Remember when hugs and kisses were enough?

Our communications are sometimes misread.

Lately I've been reading this book by Gary Chapman called The Five Love Languages. Wow! So you mean there are more ways to communicate? The book is fascinating. He also has a web site with questions and answers. Gary Chapman is a well known marriage counselor and leads marriage enrichment seminars too. To read excerpts from his book click here.

The five languages of love consist of:

1. Words of affirmation
    2. Quality time
    3. Receiving gifts
    4. Acts of service
    5. Physical touch
    Are you and your significant other communicating your love?  Sometimes we get our wires crossed.

Thanks for stopping by. Take care & and God bless.

Icy BC February 18, 2010 at 6:50 AM

Communication is something I lack terribly! I love how your grandson thought of you and called you to tell his accomplishment. That's so sweet!

Judy Sheldon-Walker February 18, 2010 at 7:33 AM

Icy, that's the point in Gary Chapman's book. We all communicate differently we just need to understand one another. If you get a chance click on the link and you will be surprised by what your language may be because you are "speaking" loud and clear if someone knows how to "listen".

Have a blessed day!

Geri Ohara February 18, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Loved this post Judy

Self Sagacity February 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Hi Judy, thanks for the recommend. Yes, I've been ordered not to say anything for as long as I live, even now!

Judy Sheldon-Walker February 18, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Geri, thanks for the visit and the support.

Self Sagacity, I'll listen. Talk away. :-) We'll have to take turns though (I can't keep quiet or still for long)! I love your blog. You have lots worthwhile to say. Talk on!

SquirrelQueen February 18, 2010 at 11:28 PM

That is so sweet that your grandson called to tell you he was good at school.

We've been married fifteen years and, with only an occasional lapse on one or two items, we practice all five as often as possible.

Judy Sheldon-Walker February 19, 2010 at 7:30 AM

Judy, I am sure that is a contributing factor to why you have been married this long. God bless!

CHAN LEE PENG February 20, 2010 at 11:11 PM

U are so right, sister! A powerful post! :-)

Judy Sheldon-Walker February 20, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Chan, you are so supportive. Thanks and God bless!