Caught red handed!

Friday, February 26, 2010

Creating this bird feeder out of a used water bottle was a labor of love. Besides I told myself not only was I feeding my fine feathered friends but doing a small part in saving our earth by recycling.

I was delighted when just one day later I stepped outside and saw how much had been eaten out of the once full bottle. As I peeked through my living room window to see if I could capture some birds with my camera I noticed the dowel was missing.

I searched the snow under the tree and found it. What kind of prints are these?

I went back inside to watch.

Silly me, I thought just because I made the opening small that it would make the bird seeds inaccessible to all but the
birds. This little red pawed rascal was caught "red handed"! He tipped the bottle to one side and poured the seeds into his mouth. I don't know whose mouth was open wider, his or mine!

After he had pulled on the bottle and gotten all the seeds from it he flung it to the ground and I went outside to retrieve it. I'm not sure if I should put it back outside or not. Plastic may not be a good diet for a squirrel. For much better pictures of squirrels check out
Through Squirrel Eyes.

You will not be disappointed! Take care and God bless!

SquirrelQueen February 27, 2010 at 5:38 AM

The second I saw those tracks I knew who your little bandit would be. There isn't much that can stop a squirrel from getting to the goodies. He really chewed up that plastic, maybe glass or metal?

I think your photos are great Judy, you caught the bandit red handed. Squirrels can really put on a good show but they can be pesky sometimes.

Thanks for the shout!

Judy

Geri Ohara February 27, 2010 at 7:44 AM

Lovely article Judy Love your photos

Joanne February 27, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Squirrels are so determined to get at birdfeeders! Wow, this one really did a number on yours :/ Too bad the birds didn't get more of the treats.

Judy Sheldon-Walker February 27, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Judy, I don't mind feeding the squirrels, but am a little embarrassed about how he outsmarted me & concerned about him eating plastic. I will rethink the recycled bird feeder thing! Your pictures are so much clearer and closer.

Geri, thanks for the support and visit. Take care & God bless!

Joanne, I wonder if the birds got any. Thanks for your visit. Take care & God bless!

Icy BC February 27, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Oh Judy, you are very creative, but that squirrel is also clever..

Enchanted Oak February 27, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Like Thomas Edison said, I haven't failed--I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. It was a good idea. It would work at my house, where I don't have squirrels visiting the back yard. Just the occasional unwelcomed gopher.

Judy Sheldon-Walker February 27, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Icy, I made the investment ($6.)and bought a bird house. The last one (before I made this one) was under the tree cracked wide open. I thought I'd hang it up tonight, but there is snow about two feet deep all around my tree. :-( You know Michigan. It will melt - eventually!

Enchanted Oak, thanks for the visit and the encouragement. We will get one up.

Take care & God bless!

DoanLegacy February 28, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Wow..did he eat through the plastic? I like your creativity!

Judy Sheldon-Walker February 28, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Amanda, I'm pretty sure that was him. He was pretty persistent.

Thanks for the visit and God bless!

Ruthi February 28, 2010 at 7:20 PM

I can relate to this. Those little bandits always steal from by bird feeders too. Poor little birds.

Judy Sheldon-Walker February 28, 2010 at 8:03 PM

I don't mind feeding them, but will they share?

Thanks for the visit. Take care & God bless!

Self Sagacity March 1, 2010 at 1:38 PM

I agree with you Judy about Squirrel Queen and her squirrel pictures! I have seen many good ones!

Judy Sheldon-Walker March 1, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Self Sagacity, we are in agreement; we both love her pics.

Thanks for your visit. Take care & God bless!

Anne Lyken-Garner March 2, 2010 at 6:45 AM

What a fun post, Judy. Ah the cheeky rascal! A boy's got to eat, right?
He's too pretty to be mad at.

Judy Sheldon-Walker March 2, 2010 at 7:22 AM

Anne, thanks for the visit. I'm not mad at him but I don't want him sick and I do want to feed the birds.

Have a blessed day.